Metro Line LRT | ?m | ?s | City of Edmonton

It took nearly thirty minutes to get from Bay to NAIT. I can walk there from Downtown in that period of time.

We stopped 4-5 times mid-station and crawled along at 25km/h or less for much of the trip.

For shame

Honestly, was the proposal of tunneling the whole line such a bad idea? 🥴

In all seriousness though, that sucks. I don't understand why the city took the whole "Urban LRT" approach for this line in particular, when it's A: part of the high-floor system B: Linked with the underground and high-capacity system, and C: going through this older area of the city that has high traffic volumes. I guess that back in 2010 when they were making all these decisions about how the line was designed there was no strong push for something better 🤷‍♂️ I mean I dunno, maybe there was? Did the city not listen or?

I guess now we just have deal with it and try to make it better where possible.

Last edited:
Once the Metro Line is extended north of the Yellowhead, the at-grade crossing issues will become much more pronounced. Better the line gets elevated or buried beneath Kingsway, 111 Ave and even Princess Elizabeth and 106 before the extension is completed, as construction costs now would be much lower than 5-10-15 years into the future.

@Avenuer I agree, how is it logistically going to be possible achieve the 5-minute headway that a reliable rapid transit system should have during peak hours? The traffic models that the city commissioned themselves show this being a huge issue. And yeah, I'm not saying that the LRT should always get out of the way of cars and that the convenience of car users reigns supreme, but the thing is that grade-separation in the Kingsway section would arguably help transit users more than vehicle users, mainly because that 5-minute frequency would be easily achievable and actually make it convenient for people to use the train.

Jeez, I hope the lesson that the city took from this is that cheaping out on projects like this will hurt everyone, vehicle and transit users included. I hope the Valley Line works well when it opens...

Honestly, was the proposal of tunneling the whole line such a bad idea? 🥴

In all seriousness though, that sucks. I don't understand why the city took the whole "Urban LRT" approach for this line in particular, when it's A: part of the high-floor system B: Linked with the underground and high-capacity system, and C: going through this older area of the city that has high traffic volumes. I guess that back in 2010 when they were making all these decisions about how the line was designed there was no strong push for something better 🤷‍♂️ I mean I dunno, maybe there was? Did the city not listen or?

I guess now we just have deal with it and try to make it better where possible.
No, by 2010 the city was well on the bandwagon of urban LRT being superior, and that was the design philosophy here.

That being said the line was planned in a rush because the higher level governments wanted to fund it only if it was "shovel ready" and the City had to say that it was.

This line will absolutely require 5 minute headways, so I guess the City either accepts the congestion here or starts planning now for grade separation. Congestion is not the end of the world.

It took nearly thirty minutes to get from Bay to NAIT. I can walk there from Downtown in that period of time.

We stopped 4-5 times mid-station and crawled along at 25km/h or less for much of the trip.

For shame
When I was reeducating I took the train to NAIT. Count your blessings you haven't had the experience of coming to an abrupt halt when another oncoming train was on the same track.

Not many things destroy what remaining confidence you have in infrastructure as that. That's when I started calling for the instrumentation to be gutted back in the day on C2E

It's disappointing to see that Rogers Place patrons (save for Covid restrictions) have to walk along 103 Street to the Bay ESq LRT station instead of walking to the adjacent MacEwan station to board the LRT. I'm sure that some riders will still walk to the Bay ESq station, but at least riders will have another option.

Description: To construct Interior Alterations for a staff/office/warehouse facility. Reconfigure existing office areas, construct 9 new walls, modify HVAC, plumbing, electrical to suit. (PCL field office/shop for LRT construction)
Permit date: January 28, 2021
Type: Building Permit
Subtype: (03) Interior Alterations
Category: Commercial Final
Class: Maintenance Buildings incl Hangars (450)
Address: 10908 - 120 AVENUE NW
Neighbourhood: BLATCHFORD AREA
Zoning: MA2, MA, MA3, MA2, MA3, MA2, MA, US, MA2, PU, BRH, BLMR, BLMR, BRH, BLMR, MA, PU, BRH, BP, BLMR, BLMR, MA1, UI
Value: $215,030.00

@bodsbods9090 It's a repurposing of this building, behind EPCOR's Westwood yards:

1612380796904.png

Back