Iron Horse Line / Station Park | ?m | 6s | Beljan Development | Hodgson Schilf Evans

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Where is the sampling going to take place this Saturday?

Edit: looks like it’ll be at Epic’s current location

Last edited:
I was confused for a second. At first I thought you meant just Cook, meaning just Cook County saloon was moving in. Now I get it that the business "JustCook" is moving in.
they have also rebranded JustCook to EPIC and will be fine tuning their offerings here and at their 105 street location.

From this past Thursday
DSCN2706~2.JPG

^This phase still, but on the north lot (currently their lay down space).
I'm guessing shipping container motif will follow into phase 2

The shipping containers will be located on the former park site.

The original plan was to use shipping containers on the three-storey building (and a lot of design work went into that) but there were a lot of technical challenges/concerns with meeting building/energy code items, etc. Given the time constraints, the decision was made to pivot to a conventional steel-frame structure.

I really would like to see the old rail line between Station Park and the Stayion on Whyte apartments turned into a linear park. I would also like to a road built to connect 80 ave on both sides of the tracks, but maybe that's not possible with Beljan's plans for the MKT parking lot.

There are also the small matters of (1) connecting 76 Ave on both sides of the tracks and (2) HSR/hyperloop line along the QE2

I think a HSR or Hyperloop line and station would most likely begin south of 80th avenue when considering the space constraints between 80-Whyte Ave (unless they decide to somehow start the line north of Whyte Avenue). 76 avenue could be connected with an underpass underneath the HSR/Hyperloop rail ROW

If CP could be awakened from its slumber, there is a great opportunity to work with the City to put 76th Avenue through their land at grade AND at the same time develop a kind of Transportation/Tech hub south of the 76th Avenue crossing... thereby opening up the land north of the new 76 crossing to expand the historic theme of Old Strathcona. A win for Old Strathcona; a relief corridor for Whyte Avenue traffic, now having the 76th Avenue option -- a short 6 blocks south (a BIG community win); a win for CPR (repurposed land) and development opportunities and a player in high speed rail (land owner).

If CP could be awakened from its slumber, there is a great opportunity to work with the City to put 76th Avenue through their land at grade AND at the same time develop a kind of Transportation/Tech hub south of the 76th Avenue crossing... thereby opening up the land north of the new 76 crossing to expand the historic theme of Old Strathcona. A win for Old Strathcona; a relief corridor for Whyte Avenue traffic, now having the 76th Avenue option -- a short 6 blocks south (a BIG community win); a win for CPR (repurposed land) and development opportunities and a player in high speed rail (land owner).

I would like to emphasize BIG community win. Kids in Hazeldean and Ritchie are zoned for Allendale and McKernan for Jr High and Strathcona Composite for High School.

It would make life so much better if 76th Ave were to be connected.

Does anyone have any insight on if that may ever happen? Or who to lobby to encourage that it does?

(I note that both the Bike Plan and the Mass Transit Plan identify completing 76th Ave as a barrier to be overcome, but I’m guessing it’s all in CP’s hands?)

Back