Iron Horse Line / Station Park | ?m | 6s | Beljan Development | Hodgson Schilf Evans

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
If CP could be awakened from its slumber, there is a great opportunity to work with the City to put 76th Avenue through their land at grade AND at the same time develop a kind of Transportation/Tech hub south of the 76th Avenue crossing... thereby opening up the land north of the new 76 crossing to expand the historic theme of Old Strathcona. A win for Old Strathcona; a relief corridor for Whyte Avenue traffic, now having the 76th Avenue option -- a short 6 blocks south (a BIG community win); a win for CPR (repurposed land) and development opportunities and a player in high speed rail (land owner).
I support this idea. Someone on Twitter was just commenting on the lack of pedestrian options east-west because of the rail yard. This would help with that issue too.

I think it's a good idea as well. Unfortunately, the rail companies are notoriously difficult to get them to cede property they own. If there's a cost to it, I suspect CP will pass; what's their incentive? (hint, they don't do anything just to be nice) I understand that this is a marshaling yard for them; if you put a road through at 76ave it may impede their ability to put longer trains together; think 50st. at SPF

Last edited:
I think it's a good idea as well. Unfortunately, the rail companies are notoriously difficult to get them to cede property they own. If there's a cost to it, I suspect CP will pass; what's their incentive? (hint, they don't do anything just to be nice) I understand that this is a marshaling yard for them; if you put a road through at 76ave it may impede their ability to put longer trains together.
Found this from 2017

There is a possibility at least. I don’t remember this announcement.

Probably a huge reach: what if the City pushed so hard on the 50th overpass as a strong gesture of good faith for CPR to finally partner up on pushing their Strathcona Junction plans forward?

I understand realistically CPR's gain is fairly minimal but it will make their shunting operations that much simpler.

Significant liability and safety issues though; those would need resolution.

An area redevelopment plan was completed in 2012 and 76 ave was actually being considered for pedestrian/bike route through the yards.
Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 11.27.06 AM.png

Unfortunately the yard is still actively used by CPKC, and will be for the foreseeable future. A 76 Ave connection is about as likely as a 113A street connection through CN‘s Walker Yard.

No real news other than the crossing being explored is actually 80 avenue.

Thanks for reporting back! Connecting 80th Ave would still be great. (And I hope might make connecting 76th Ave more likely?)

Any sense on how likely this may be to happen or potentially when it could?

Thanks for reporting back! Connecting 80th Ave would still be great. (And I hope might make connecting 76th Ave more likely?)

Any sense on how likely this may be to happen or potentially when it could?
City needs to acquire this piece of land (or lease it). Likely slowed down though because of the change in ownership structure of CP.

Back