News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Pretty happy with YEG’s current domestic flight offerings, could talk about frequencies in some cases but not a lot of glaring holes in the route map across Canada.

I remember when I first moved to Edmonton (from Ottawa) 6 years ago and it pained me that only Air Canada was offering direct flights at the time. A "good deal" was about $550 at the time, which made it difficult to visit friends and family and I had to go for at least a couple weeks to make the price worthwhile.

Thanks to Flair I'm able to go visit my hometown much more frequently, spontaneously and even sometimes just for a quick trip for 3 days or so. This new offering from Porter should only help with fares and I'll be sure to support this route as a token of appreciation!

To be fair, I can't imagine there was much regular demand to travel to and from Kamloops.

Yes & Kamloops YKA is a better fit on a WestJet Encore Q400 78 seater type of plane ✈️ ,which they’re flying up to 3x daily out of Calgary YYC to YKA, currently.

Out of Edmonton YEG -the demand for Kamloops is (seasonal Spring/Summer) works fine on Flair Boeing 737 Max 8.
Will see *if* they bring it back next year?

Well this isn't good. Flair is always trying new routes with Edmonton but it's been difficult...I hope they don't give up on Edmonton.

I was under the impression Kamloops was a seasonal route anyway. Hopefully the load factors were sufficient this year that Flair will bring it back next summer.

Pretty happy with YEG’s current domestic flight offerings, could talk about frequencies in some cases but not a lot of glaring holes in the route map across Canada.
True, the domestic coverage from YEG is decent. The main challenge at this point is the absence of non-stops to key U.S. destinations.

Has Westjet annouced there winter routs for YEG? wondering if they have Orlando each year or it depends?
I don't see Orlando in their announcement, from YEG, but they'll be flying to Tampa once a week out of Calgary, which is new.

Has Westjet annouced there winter routs for YEG? wondering if they have Orlando each year or it depends?
Yes. Edmonton to Orlando flight is 1x weekly starting October 7 then it goes to 2x weekly October 29 up until end of April. (Saturday and Sundays operating). Route has been flying for a number of years now. As to future years, nothing is 100% guaranteed but this one seems to be consistently offered every winter season.

If someone can listen to this.....might have some new route announcements?
I did have a listen, reiterated the recent Porter to Ottawa and the Westjet Montego Bay, Abbostford, & Mazatlan announcements. Didn't say anything else new immininent but without using Calgary basically said make sure you are starting your journey in Edmonton (AKA not driving to YYC to catch a flight) is one of the better ways to support service.

If someone can listen to this.....might have some new route announcements?

Sounded positive. Enforced that the airport can incentivize but ultimately people need to fly through Edmonton first. Though I didn't get any specific hints from the discussion.

One key statement that I focused on was "choosing to fly through some of those key hubs and fly onwards demonstrates that demand to the airline partners". Wonder if that will lead to additional "hubs" being added. Mentioned they were constantly working with "airline partners" to expand and grow services, even mentioned helping cargo move more efficiently.

Sounded positive. Enforced that the airport can incentivize but ultimately people need to fly through Edmonton first. Though I didn't get any specific hints from the discussion.

One key statement that I focused on was "choosing to fly through some of those key hubs and fly onwards demonstrates that demand to the airline partners". Wonder if that will lead to additional "hubs" being added. Mentioned they were constantly working with "airline partners" to expand and grow services, even mentioned helping cargo move more efficiently.
I took that as implying additional hubs piece to be speaking on airlines that are taking a bit more risk flying to Edmonton like KLM and Condor. Not really at risk of losing Air Canada to their Toronto hub or Westjet to Calgary but Amsterdam (KLM) and Seattle (Alaska), for example, served by foreign carriers are much less tied to our market. If Edmonton demonstrates support for those routes it might give more weight to foreign carriers than say strong demand on AC or WS to YVR. People are going to fly but the more if it can help even marginally through awareness that’s a good thing.

Back