News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Flair announces 13 new routes today- just one from here though: YEG to Cancun beginning Oct. 29.

Three new routes from Winnipeg - Cancun, Orlando and Las Vegas.

Doesn’t make a difference….Nashville - cancelled. Burbank - cancelled, Palm Springs - seasonal? Vegas - seasonal, Phoenix - seasonal, San Fran - cancelled. Would it kill them to offer a year round service?

Here are the changes to WestJet's international and transborder schedule from YEG for this upcoming winter versus the previous one.

Cabo San Lucas 3x/week (up from 1)
Cancun 8x/week (up from 6)
Honolulu 2x/week (up from 1)
Huatulco 2x/week (up from 1)
Las Vegas 9x/week (up from 5)
Los Angeles 6x/week (down from 7)
Maui 2x/week (no change)
Mazatlan 2x/week (new)
Minneapolis 5x/week (new)
Montego Bay 1x/week (new)
Orlando 2x/week (up from 1)
Palm Springs 7x/week (no change)
Phoenix 9x/week (up from 8)
Puerto Vallarta 10x/week (up from 5)

Here are the changes to WestJet's international and transborder schedule from YEG for this upcoming winter versus the previous one.

Maui 2x/week (no change)
Mazatlan 2x/week (new)

These are actually some big changes from Westjet. I know we would like to see more locations but tripling Cabo, doubling Vegas & Orlando are all pretty good.

I wonder with the success of Delta/Westjet to Minneapolis we could see Edmonton Atlanta as another major Delta hub.

These are actually some big changes from Westjet. I know we would like to see more locations but tripling Cabo, doubling Vegas & Orlando are all pretty good.

I wonder with the success of Delta/Westjet to Minneapolis we could see Edmonton Atlanta as another major Delta hub.
It's nice to get Honolulu doubled as well. While primarily a tourist destination, Honolulu has that old school aviation and Pacific business hub connotation as well.

With 42 weekly transborder departures Westjet is giving YEG fair service but subjectively it gives a sense of not enough because for so many being less than daily you don't have a lot of flexibility and need to be savvy enough to know they exist and which dates. The issue is compounded by the real lack of other airlines providing decent service.

With 42 weekly transborder departures Westjet is giving YEG fair service but subjectively it gives a sense of not enough because for so many being less than daily you don't have a lot of flexibility and need to be savvy enough to know they exist and which dates. The issue is compounded by the real lack of other airlines providing decent service.

Agreed but lots of these routes are vacation type routes so they don't necessarily need to be daily.

Yes, these Westjet international and transborder are changes are actually not bad, with most increasing and several new.

I agree many vacation routes don't need to be daily, just increasing the number of times a week helps a lot.

The vast majority of YEG‘s destinations are either connecting to other Canadian sites (for personal or domestic business or connections) or endless sun destinations. There’s some outliers like KLM to Amsterdam and Air Canada to San Francisco (shocking) but for Edmontonians trying to do not-lay-on-the-beach-at-a-resort travel outside of Canada, it often involves funnelling through Calgary, Vancouver, or Toronto. Or potentially Seattle, Denver, and (now, again) Minneapolis. All 3 are interesting cities in their own right, but the only one you hear Edmontonians really going to is Seattle. But our Rockies are better than Colorado’s and Minnesota is pretty off-the-radar unless you’re in Manitoba or NW Ontario. It’s not like Edmontonians don’t go to Portland or New Orleans or Havana or Lisbon.

Chicago, Atlanta, and New York would be huge for US destinations. San Diego seems like such a no brainer too. I’d also love to see the London or Reykjavik flights start up again, though I’d worry about it eating into our Amsterdam and Frankfurt flights.

Focusing on popular hubs like Chicago, Atlanta, & Houston is the best bet. As much as I would love to see American Airlines to ORD or DFW I think United to Chicago and Houston are most likely due to Star Alliance relationship. Not going to be a ton of connections on Air Canada at YEG but Aeroplan loyalty could play a factor.

Maui 2x/week (no change)
Mazatlan 2x/week (new)
Of course these numbers include Swoop's previous winter schedule flights. The up/down numbers do not reflect the reality of Swoop flying to CUN, PVR LAS etc. It is interesting that after Flair pulls flights to LAX ... WS reduces from 7 to 6 weekly flights and why not, after all there is no competition now.

Chicago, Atlanta, and New York would be huge for US destinations. San Diego seems like such a no brainer too. I’d also love to see the London or Reykjavik flights start up again, though I’d worry about it eating into our Amsterdam and Frankfurt flights.
Swoop served San Diego for what....6 months 2 years ago? Frankly, I'm done with Cali and Florida for that matter....who wants to pay Disney prices anymore. Was looking at going for an overnight jaunt to Disneyland next week from Vegas and it would have cost $2000 for park tix, 1 hotel room and gas....wtf?!

Back