News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Yah that space was not always open. Looks like Hudsons was just reducing the number of spaces they had at the airport. Now if they could get a local coffee company to take over one of the Starbuck spaces that would be great.
The local flavor is always nice to see at an airport. YEG has added some local businesses in recent years and should keep it up.

Yah that space was not always open. Looks like Hudsons was just reducing the number of spaces they had at the airport. Now if they could get a local coffee company to take over one of the Starbuck spaces that would be great.
Should have stayed close….that is where stores go to die….with the exception of Tim’s. Isn’t there only 1 SBUX that is still closed?

Should have stayed close….that is where stores go to die….with the exception of Tim’s. Isn’t there only 1 SBUX that is still closed?
Yup, but Corporate is trying to get the licensee to reopen that location as well, considering the single airport location is consistently busy (and a gong show early in the morning).

I saw recently that YEG is looking to hire a Director of Hydrogen:

I am going to be honest, I really really wish YEG would focus more on core services such as airline/route recruitment and airport facility improvements (have you seen how dated the north terminal is? Or how dated, dirty and uninviting some of our bridges are? Or how dated the prop field boarding building is?), and less on pet projects like drones, autonomous vehicles, sustainability partnerships, etc.

In none of the recent public announcements like WestJet's expansion announcement, Flair's summer schedule announcement, Air Canada's Cancun announcement, Condor's announcement, have any of these airlines mentioned that they are interested in Edmonton due to its side projects.

I am going to be honest, I really really wish YEG would focus more on core services such as airline/route recruitment and airport facility improvements (have you seen how dated the north terminal is? Or how dated, dirty and uninviting some of our bridges are? Or how dated the prop field boarding building is?), and less on pet projects like drones, autonomous vehicles, sustainability partnerships, etc.

In none of the recent public announcements like WestJet's expansion announcement, Flair's summer schedule announcement, Air Canada's Cancun announcement, Condor's announcement, have any of these airlines mentioned that they are interested in Edmonton due to its side projects.
On the other hand, these projects can also guarantee long term financial stability and affordability to the airport, which might come in handy when operating in other airports gets prohibitively expensive.

Instead of EIA hiring a Director of Hydrogen, maybe they should focus on getting more direct flights. Hydrogen in planes is a long ways out, what a stupid posting.

Clearly some of you have been ignoring the Edmonton and the Hydrogen Economy thread, but since it's stuck in the General Discussion forum it must not be important to you.

Last edited:
EIA obviously wants to develop hydrogen fuelling options to entice airlines to use YEG for cargo and passengers. Also for the logistics services at the airport. I think that hydrogen is specific to EIA and belongs in this thread as a discussion topic. There is more to YEG than passenger traffic.

The real reason YEG is diving into the hydrogen economy is not a jump-the-gun fueling station for aircraft of the future -- that is a tangential potential benefit; rather the smart view is the development of industrial land within the bounds of EIA that focuses on the Hydrogen Economy. All of those who have been following this understand that as @Gronk! has intimated.

@Gronk! I see now why you want a separate site for business -- you are right, of course!

I realize that the moderators are busy with their lives but still, I am under the impression that my request for an SRC business forum is falling on deaf ears.

To me, having the business topics languish in the General Discussion forum behind the Who's Laughing topic instead of potentially thriving in an actual Business & Economy forum is a microcosm of all that is wrong about Edmonton.

Back