Lobbying on behalf of:
Who was met with: Mayor, Policy and Communications Advisor
Subject of meeting: Hydrogen infrastrucutre

Date of meeting: August 18, 2020
Organization: Transition Accelerator
Lobbying on behalf of:
Who was met with: Mayor, Chief of Staff
Subject of meeting: Hydrogen infrastrucutre

(from the Mayor's lobbyist registry in Open Data)

Not sure if this is the right place to land this, but, alas, FINALLY some "woke" individuals have focused on a conversion from oil/natural gas to a boom economy possibility. Don't do XL; do this -- https://edmontonjournal.com/commodi...says/wcm/0d4f83a3-fa69-4aa8-ac13-7786eaf28b2a And don't dawdle; this could be the door opener to northern Alberta fine-tuning end-use products instead of shipping raw opportunities "out the door". It doesn't need to be limited to competing in the vehicle industry -- hydrogen fuel vs electricity. It could fuel convertible podules in our RoadShowz line-up and all things similar to that, including housing. With even a modicum of success I could see Alberta converting "raw" to "high-level" finished products. C'mon guys let's make this happen!!!

Last edited:
I agree, I'm no expert at all on this topic and have no insider knowledge but I think that we can all agree that the general sense now is that this is what will most likely replace the entire fossil-fuel economy down the line. From what I've read online Hydrogen isn't the perfect substitute and if left to leak freely into the atmosphere would also cause damage and global warming (at considerably less of a rate as CO2 though), but if contained properly from the get-go these effects could be heavily reduced to less than 1% of what Fossil Fuels do to our planet. My point here is that Alberta has an awesome opportunity here and it should take the appropriate and safe steps to jump on and lead the train sooner rather than later imo. And (some wishful thinking) having directly outside of Edmonton could lead to us potentially becoming the new financial head of the province, who knows? 🤷‍♂️

Where I got the info I used here:

See, now that is what I was referring to three bumps up. We need to put some wheels on this to get it going. It is perhaps the perfect transition from an oil economy. And, while hydrogen production alone is a favored goal, let's not stop there -- there are hydrogen fuel cells (Edmonton-built for all manner of applications), glass purification (ideal for the silica sands in the Fort Mac manufacturing arena), semiconductor manufacturing (automation in this area puts Edmonton in the running for a huge global industry), fertilizer production (hinterland agri-business and contained vertical farming), pharmaceutical production (Edmonton already has a hand in this industry but could certainly command more attention in a growth sequence, particularly aligned withthe recent news of a diabetes cure coming out of the University of Alberta), and refueling infrastructure. Alberta would no longer have to look to export raw natural gas and oil and this industry could sustain the economy for the next Century.

^^^^ I like the initiative, but again I say why export all of the hydrogen in raw form -- why not build an infrastructure around hydrogen end-products, especially batteries, and especially batteries for buildings? Lets build a sustainable local economy for the next century! And Move before some other place takes first place!

Just listened in to ATCO presenting at the BILD Alberta Conference and snagged a few slides.

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 11.55.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 12.00.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 12.01.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 12.05.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 12.06.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 12.11.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 12.11.23 PM.png

Love this hydrogen announcement for Edmonton and it's happening IN the city boundaries.
The development comes along with this other $1.3B announcement today - official cancelation of Keystone XL.
$1.3B in, $1.3B Out.

Nice to see the City finally getting some of that sweet, sweet heavy industrial tax revenue and keeping Strathcona County's greedy hands off of it!

Back