News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

United has traditionally been pretty good to YEG and has had seen some success. I wouldn't count out a return of IAH which I think was more a casualty of the pandemic, and more recently slower Canadian travel recovery (compared to US domestic) and pilot/equipment shortages.
It was the pilot shortage that killed a ton of service to and from Canada. United used to be THE preferred U.S. carrier in the West, with service to multiple destinations from Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver, as well as to San Francisco from Victoria, to Denver and Chicago from Saskatoon and Regina and to Chicago from Thunder Bay. Much of that ended even before the pandemic. All that's left is the Calgary and Vancouver service as well as the Denver flights from YEG.

The one we REALLY need back is not Houston but Chicago. When United took away the San Francisco non-stop, AC replaced it, but AC has shown no interest in offering a YEG-ORD service.

It was the pilot shortage that killed a ton of service to and from Canada. United used to be THE preferred U.S. carrier in the West, with service to multiple destinations from Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver, as well as to San Francisco from Victoria, to Denver and Chicago from Saskatoon and Regina and to Chicago from Thunder Bay. Much of that ended even before the pandemic. All that's left is the Calgary and Vancouver service as well as the Denver flights from YEG.

The one we REALLY need back is not Houston but Chicago. When United took away the San Francisco non-stop, AC replaced it, but AC has shown no interest in offering a YEG-ORD service.
we REALLY need Chicago 2x/day.

I'll take Chicago 3 or 4x a week, right now. Would at least be a start.
If we get 1x daily eventually, I cool live with that
Chicago is such a no brainer, so is New York, Atlanta, and London. It'll be interesting to see if Flair gets air rights to more non-Sun destinations in the States, like Nashville. Seattle, Portland, Chicago, Boston, and Washington seem like viable routes from certain Canadian cities that are, yes, served by other airlines, but could use some competition, and in others, could provide new service (for example, YEG-PDX or YEG-ORD).

Chicago is such a no brainer, so is New York, Atlanta, and London. It'll be interesting to see if Flair gets air rights to more non-Sun destinations in the States, like Nashville. Seattle, Portland, Chicago, Boston, and Washington seem like viable routes from certain Canadian cities that are, yes, served by other airlines, but could use some competition, and in others, could provide new service (for example, YEG-PDX or YEG-ORD).
Flair could do Edmonton-Chicago Midway, which is already a big base for LCCs like Southwest, Frontier and Allegiant. Not sure about the slot availability, however.

The reason for Chicago would be for the UA connections, I don't think getting Flair would really do anything for us.

The reason for Chicago would be for the UA connections, I don't think getting Flair would really do anything for us.

I feel like if Flair can do Nashville, they can do Chicago. The city itself can be a destination, or you can connect with a different airline. United is also fine I was just brainstorming ideas as Flair seems particularly keen on closing gaps and trying to experiment with new routes in ways that the others aren't as much.

I feel like if Flair can do Nashville, they can do Chicago. The city itself can be a destination, or you can connect with a different airline. United is also fine I was just brainstorming ideas as Flair seems particularly keen on closing gaps and trying to experiment with new routes in ways that the others aren't as much.
I am not sure how well Flair is doing Nashville so that certainly shouldn't be the measuring stick

I suspect the higher cost of using bigger airports is an issue for Flair. Also as far as I know they are not part of an international network, such as UA, so their focus is probably more on point to point flights rather than connecting ones. So, I could see why they would pick Nashville over Chicago.

I suspect the higher cost of using bigger airports is an issue for Flair. Also as far as I know they are not part of an international network, such as UA, so their focus is probably more on point to point flights rather than connecting ones. So, I could see why they would pick Nashville over Chicago.
The whole basis of Flair's Nashville flights is for a fun weekend there and as Edmonton's sister city, etc. Chicago is no longer a destination city, the need for a Chicago flight is solely to have United connections at OHD.

The same being said about Seattle and yet when I went it felt far safer than Edmonton or Calgary in 95% of areas.

Back