News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

KLM should be everyone's only choice to Europe..
When booking travel, it's sometimes difficult to decide which principle should come first: do I support the airline(s) that operate to my local airport, with a view to maintaining those links in the interest of Edmonton? Or do I support other airlines that serve different cities in Canada, with a view to benefiting the country as a whole?

A few examples: a number of years back we were among the many Western Canadians who lobbied Air France to start serving Vancouver. Finally the service was announced, and we have subsequently used it. Although AF doesn't serve Edmonton (and is unlikely to), Western Canada as a whole benefits from a direct link to Paris and I feel compelled to support it.

The same goes with Turkish Airlines. A lengthy battle was fought by a lot of people in the Western Canadian business and tourism industries to get non-stop service between YVR and TK's massive global hub at Istanbul. Again, this was a win for Western Canada overall. We haven't used this route yet but I have a colleague who has used it multiple times.

The service we really want to try when we get the opportunity is Scandinavian Airlines' (SAS) flights to Stockholm Arlanda and Copenhagen Kastrup to/from Toronto. Although this airline doesn't serve any Western Canadian cities, I do think it's important that it serves at least one Canadian hub, especially given the fact that there are no other direct flights from Canada to Sweden.

Another debate that can be had is, when flying to destinations that aren't (and unlikely to be) served direct from YEG, where do you connect? Do you connect in YYC, YVR or YYZ, thus supporting direct international flights from a Canadian city, even if it isn't Edmonton? Or do you fly through a U.S. hub which, while not supporting Canadian overseas links, supports Edmonton's transborder links?

Well my answer will always be to support my city. I will and do always choose Edmonton first. I won’t under any circumstances use YYC. YVR is and has been an option for me but I don’t think I’d do AC to Dubai when I can get on Emirates from Toronto or Seattle. I like Dubai from Seattle better than Toronto but coming from the Middle East to the US is never fun with customs.

Booked my flights to LAX for the first round this morning on Flair. Had to stay an extra day in SoCal because of the flight is only 3x/week but I think of Flair as my hometown airline and will always choose over Westjet when available and because Westjet only really cares about YYC, it’s always an easy decision.

Why fly through YYC - when flights are plentiful from YVR. My money supports YVR to gain better frequency and more options. A can not see a single reason to fly out of YYC from YEG - and thinking it helps Alberta is a crock of shit - Calgary and WS have never supported the Edmonton Metropolitan Region, Central or Northern Alberta … its All
smoke and mirrors from WS.
I agree with this one million percent.

When booking travel, it's sometimes difficult to decide which principle should come first: do I support the airline(s) that operate to my local airport, with a view to maintaining those links in the interest of Edmonton? Or do I support other airlines that serve different cities in Canada, with a view to benefiting the country as a whole?

A few examples: a number of years back we were among the many Western Canadians who lobbied Air France to start serving Vancouver. Finally the service was announced, and we have subsequently used it. Although AF doesn't serve Edmonton (and is unlikely to), Western Canada as a whole benefits from a direct link to Paris and I feel compelled to support it.

The same goes with Turkish Airlines. A lengthy battle was fought by a lot of people in the Western Canadian business and tourism industries to get non-stop service between YVR and TK's massive global hub at Istanbul. Again, this was a win for Western Canada overall. We haven't used this route yet but I have a colleague who has used it multiple times.

The service we really want to try when we get the opportunity is Scandinavian Airlines' (SAS) flights to Stockholm Arlanda and Copenhagen Kastrup to/from Toronto. Although this airline doesn't serve any Western Canadian cities, I do think it's important that it serves at least one Canadian hub, especially given the fact that there are no other direct flights from Canada to Sweden.

Another debate that can be had is, when flying to destinations that aren't (and unlikely to be) served direct from YEG, where do you connect? Do you connect in YYC, YVR or YYZ, thus supporting direct international flights from a Canadian city, even if it isn't Edmonton? Or do you fly through a U.S. hub which, while not supporting Canadian overseas links, supports Edmonton's transborder links?

There is nothing to debate. People make their own travel decisions.Mine is to support all nonstop routes out of Edmonton and that includes supporting connections at the US cities that YEG has a nonstop flight to. I am not wrapping myself up in the "Canadian" patriotism, YYC or WS flag ... in this or the after life. I want to see Open Skies and foreign airlines expanding service into Canada and flying between Canadian cities. No need to debate this with me - you do you and I will do me.

There is nothing to debate. People make their own travel decisions.Mine is to support all nonstop routes out of Edmonton and that includes supporting connections at the US cities that YEG has a nonstop flight to. I am not wrapping myself up in the "Canadian" patriotism, YYC or WS flag ... in this or the after life. I want to see Open Skies and foreign airlines expanding service into Canada and flying between Canadian cities. No need to debate this with me - you do you and I will do me.
Who said I was debating anything with you? I was making a general point about differing travel preferences: the idea of supporting just YEG and its links or supporting the country's international links overall. I never mentioned your name, not sure why you assumed I was interested in debating with you personally.

Who said I was debating anything with you? I was making a general point about differing travel preferences: the idea of supporting just YEG and its links or supporting the country's international links overall. I never mentioned your name, not sure why you assumed I was interested in debating with you personally.
If you make a post expect some feedback.
You cannot be all things to all people all the time pick a priority and stick to it If Canadian airline development is your priority over Edmonton‘s just admit it to yourself and run with it. However the status quo will not significantly change with so many competing interests who are not interest in promoting Edmonton’s airline interests.

Last edited:
If we want things to change/improve, we have to be quite forceful and clear about it, things will probably not just happen on their own.

Flair reductions:

Edmonton – Las Vegas eff 13MAY23 Reduce from 3 to 2 weekly 07JUN23 – 28OCT23 Service cancelled
Edmonton – Los Angeles eff 06JUL23 3rd weekly service maintained
Edmonton – San Francisco eff 06JUN23 2 weekly service cancelled
Edmonton – Quebec City eff 07JUL23 2 weekly
Edmonton Kitchener/Waterloo Planned service resumption from 27MAR23 cancelled
Edmonton – Abbotsford Reduce from 21 to 14 weekly
Edmonton – Kamloops Reduce from 3 to 2 weekly
Edmonton – Kelowna Reduce from 14 to 12 weekly
Edmonton – Ottawa Increase from 3 to 4 weekly
Edmonton – Victoria Reduce from 9 to 5 weekly
Edmonton – Winnipeg Reduce from 7 to 5 weekly

Flair reductions:

Edmonton – Las Vegas eff 13MAY23 Reduce from 3 to 2 weekly 07JUN23 – 28OCT23 Service cancelled
Edmonton – Los Angeles eff 06JUL23 3rd weekly service maintained
Edmonton – San Francisco eff 06JUN23 2 weekly service cancelled
Edmonton – Quebec City eff 07JUL23 2 weekly
Edmonton Kitchener/Waterloo Planned service resumption from 27MAR23 cancelled
Edmonton – Abbotsford Reduce from 21 to 14 weekly
Edmonton – Kamloops Reduce from 3 to 2 weekly
Edmonton – Kelowna Reduce from 14 to 12 weekly
Edmonton – Ottawa Increase from 3 to 4 weekly
Edmonton – Victoria Reduce from 9 to 5 weekly
Edmonton – Winnipeg Reduce from 7 to 5 weekly

Are there any daily routes left?

Monthly passenger stats March 2023​

Terminal​

• Terminal Traffic: 560,546 passengers (YTD 1,536,898 passengers)
  • Domestic 422,629 passengers (YTD 1,151,362 passengers)
  • Transborder 76,444 passengers (YTD 202,571 passengers)
  • International 61,473 passengers (YTD 182,965 passengers)

Terminal percent growth (%)​

• Terminal: 60.1% (YTD 87.0%)
  • Domestic 45.4% (YTD 66.9%)
  • Transborder 167.4% (YTD 243.2%)
  • International 99.1% (YTD 150.5%)

Fixed Base Operators (FBO)​

• 51,086 passengers (YTD 139,964 passengers)

FBO percent growth (%)​

• 25.1% (YTD 39.8%)

Total passengers (Terminal and FBO)​

• 611,632 passengers (YTD 1,676,862 passengers)

Total percent growth (Terminal and FBO)​

• Month overall 56.5% (YTD 81.9%)

I never knew how frustrating flying from Edmonton is untill this year as i have started to travel more for work. this year alone had to go through YYC 6 times. im not hating on YYC, its just frustrating when you have have a layover for 3 hours and then have hop on a shitty plane for like 20 mins

Yes Edmonton YEG- Vancouver YVR & Toronto YYZ flight ✈️ routes are still daily for Flair. That’s about it from YEG in terms of daily service for them.

Not surprising as YEG- YVR/YYZ have higher demand✅.
Looks like Kelowna is still a daily flight as well.

Back