News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

I think the difference of opinion makes for a good discussion... things were getting a bit bland with everyone in agreement. But overall I think we shouldn't be excessively pessimistic. The cargo development announced last year and it's proposed construction this (?) year is concrete news and will result in a big change from status quo re cargo. I think we should be strongly encouraging YEG to build this as soon as possible.
I thought EIA was putting 60m and the Feds 100m and UCP fuck all.

I doubt we will ever see passenger flights between YEG and ICN. Korean tried it a number of years ago between YYC and ICN and couldn't make it work, despite promoting it as a Calgary/Banff service to take advantage of tourist traffic.

For a lot of Asia-Pacific airlines and cities, flights to and from YVR are considered sufficient to "serve" Western Canada.

Yes good point.

Vancouver YVR is main airport in Western Canada 🇨🇦 for Asia-Pacific-Europe- Middle East-Latin America international flights ✈️ & will continue to be✅!!

*If* Alberta were to get Seoul ICN passenger flights to South Korea 🇰🇷 again,it would be on a WestJet Boeing 787 from Calgary YYC - ICN few times weekly (seasonally) & kind of like YYC - Tokyo NRT, Japan 🇯🇵 route on WestJet starting up at end of April 2023 which is 3x weekly.

Last edited:
Why fly through YYC - when flights are plentiful from YVR. My money supports YVR to gain better frequency and more options. A can not see a single reason to fly out of YYC from YEG - and thinking it helps Alberta is a crock of shit - Calgary and WS have never supported the Edmonton Metropolitan Region, Central or Northern Alberta … its All
smoke and mirrors from WS.

YVR may be a faster route to Dubai from YEG than via YYZ and with Aeroplan.

Air Canada today (13APR23) announced new route launch to the Middle East from Vancouver, where the airline plans to offer Vancouver – Dubai nonstop service. Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner will operate this route on from 28OCT23, 4 times weekly. Schedule below is effective 05NOV23 – 09MAR24.
AC078 YVR2050 – 2350+1DXB 789 x357
AC079 DXB0200 – 0555YVR 789 x257

Yes good point.

Vancouver YVR is main airport in Western Canada 🇨🇦 for Asia-Pacific-Europe- Middle East-Latin America international flights ✈️ & will continue to be✅!!

*If* Alberta were to get Seoul ICN passenger flights to South Korea 🇰🇷 again,it would be on a WestJet Boeing 787 from Calgary YYC - ICN few times weekly (seasonally) & kind of like YYC - Tokyo NRT, Japan 🇯🇵 route on WestJet starting up at end of April 2023 which is 3x weekly.
Obviously I want to see improved air service out of YEG. But I recognize that for practical purposes, Western Canada has one international hub of any size and that's YVR. I'm happy to support direct services between YVR and Asia, Europe and Latin America because these benefit Western Canada overall and because flying through YVR means I don't have to connect in the United States.

YVR may be a faster route to Dubai from YEG than via YYZ and with Aeroplan.

Air Canada today (13APR23) announced new route launch to the Middle East from Vancouver, where the airline plans to offer Vancouver – Dubai nonstop service. Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner will operate this route on from 28OCT23, 4 times weekly. Schedule below is effective 05NOV23 – 09MAR24.
AC078 YVR2050 – 2350+1DXB 789 x357
AC079 DXB0200 – 0555YVR 789 x257

This is disappointing. If there is to be nonstop service between Vancouver and Dubai, travelers would be far better served if it were on Emirates rather than AC.

And instead of AC funneling more YVR traffic into Emirates' mega-hub at Dubai, how about offering more Indian destinations instead? Like Vancouver-Mumbai, Vancouver-Chennai or Vancouver-Amritsar.

Why fly through YYC - when flights are plentiful from YVR. My money supports YVR to gain better frequency and more options. A can not see a single reason to fly out of YYC from YEG - and thinking it helps Alberta is a crock of shit - Calgary and WS have never supported the Edmonton Metropolitan Region, Central or Northern Alberta … its All
smoke and mirrors from WS.

Because Calgary YYC has the 2nd most flights ✈️/ frequencies in western Canada 🇨🇦 & will continue to be.

Plus connecting options at Vancouver YVR, Toronto YYZ , Montreal YUL or even YYC are usually cheaper & can save some money.

Me & my family will have no problem connecting in YVR, YYC or YYZ when flying to our destination.

Last edited:
This is disappointing. If there is to be nonstop service between Vancouver and Dubai, travelers would be far better served if it were on Emirates rather than AC.

And instead of AC funneling more YVR traffic into Emirates' mega-hub at Dubai, how about offering more Indian destinations instead? Like Vancouver-Mumbai, Vancouver-Chennai or Vancouver-Amritsar.

I think with Canadian customers collecting AC Aeroplan points, this might work well? Obviously Emirates are very nice planes but AC instituting this is exciting. I imagine they will do the same out of Toronto?

I think with Canadian customers collecting AC Aeroplan points, this might work well? Obviously Emirates are very nice planes but AC instituting this is exciting. I imagine they will do the same out of Toronto?
The YVR flight is on a Dreamliner 9. Perfect.

AC now has a deep relationship with Emirates so Aeroplan customers would be able to earn and burn points on an Emirates-operated Vancouver service if it existed.

AC already offers a Toronto-Dubai flight, as does Emirates. The difference is that Emirates is a higher-quality airline with better service in general than AC.

Because Calgary YYC has the 2nd most flights ✈️/ frequencies in western Canada 🇨🇦 & will continue to be.

Plus connecting options at Vancouver YVR, Toronto YYZ , Montreal YUL or even YYC are usually cheaper & can save some money.

Me & my family will no problem connecting in YVR, YYC or YYZ when flying to our destination.
We're currently planning a trip to Europe for this autumn and scouting itineraries and prices. We've compared a variety of AC and Lufthansa routes via YYC, YYZ and YUL. We also looked at United via Denver for comparison. It's unbelievable how much more costly United is when compared with most of the AC options, and the United flight gets into Heathrow much later in the morning. (AC can get you into LHR at 6:30 a.m. via YYZ or YUL, which gives you a head start on your first day in London).

We're currently planning a trip to Europe for this autumn and scouting itineraries and prices. We've compared a variety of AC and Lufthansa routes via YYC, YYZ and YUL. We also looked at United via Denver for comparison. It's unbelievable how much more costly United is when compared with most of the AC options, and the United flight gets into Heathrow much later in the morning. (AC can get you into LHR at 6:30 a.m. via YYZ or YUL, which gives you a head start on your first day in London).

That United flight to Denver is always so expensive!

Back