News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

The transfer is made just that much more annoying for visitors lugging around their luggage and having to navigate. If the service is convenient you will even get some folks travelling on business to select the transit option over the cab/uber. Many of us from our Edmonton office would utilize skytrain when travelling to Vancouver at my former company for example.

I really don't know who the city expects to partner with them on this. They had a beautiful solution set up with the metro transit system and blew it.

The transfer is made just that much more annoying for visitors lugging around their luggage and having to navigate. If the service is convenient you will even get some folks travelling on business to select the transit option over the cab/uber. Many of us from our Edmonton office would utilize skytrain when travelling to Vancouver at my former company for example.

I really don't know who the city expects to partner with them on this. They had a beautiful solution set up with the metro transit system and blew it.
Maybe the people who ran the Sky Shuttle or something similar would be a possibility, but I don't know if they really expect anyone.

I think it might just be a political tactic to shift the focus away from what the city is not doing well or does not want to do.

Just went to Edmonton airport Wikipedia page and found out that Swoop is pretty much cutting all Canadian destinations out of YEG. Checked on Swoop's website and it does appear to be like that. Wondering what Swoop is doing? Are they folding Swoop up? The fact that YEG-YYZ is getting cut is pretty significant. Do you think they're putting these flights back to Westjet?

Swoop was mainly set up by WestJet to kill off Flair. It hasn't worked, so they are pulling back a fair bit. Probably hoping that the traffic will revert to WestJet and help to support WestJet's Calgary hub.

Swoop was mainly set up by WestJet to kill off Flair. It hasn't worked, so they are pulling back a fair bit. Probably hoping that the traffic will revert to WestJet and help to support WestJet's Calgary hub.
All the better for Flair. Wouldn't surprise me if they started picking up on Swoop's slack and increase/open flights on these routes

Sadly Edmonton decided to sprawl in so many directions and so far out that 1 transit connection to the airport is not enough. We honestly need direct airport connections to the west, east, central, and north parts of the City to make it attractive for people to leave their car at home.

All the better for Flair. Wouldn't surprise me if they started picking up on Swoop's slack and increase/open flights on these routes
I don't know if this is the reason, but I am thinking that too. However, even if WestJet picks up some of the slack, that could still be a good thing. I think WestJet has better service than Swoop.

Here is the load factor for all the US flights that operated from YEG in March (most recent data).

WestJet Phoenix 93%
WestJet Los Angeles 86%
WestJet Palm Springs 84%
WestJet Las Vegas 83%
WestJet Honolulu 80%
Swoop Mesa 78%
Swoop Las Vegas 77%
WestJet Orlando 75%
Swoop Palm Springs 57% (discontinued)
Flair Mesa 56%
Swoop San Diego 53% (discontinued)
Flair Las Vegas 44%
Swoop Orlando 44% (discontinued)
Flair Burbank 42% (discontinued)
Flair Palm Springs 39%

From: https://www.transportation.gov/poli...l-air-passenger-and-freight-statistics-report

Here is the load factor for all the US flights that operated from YEG in March (most recent data).

WestJet Phoenix 93%
WestJet Los Angeles 86%
WestJet Palm Springs 84%
WestJet Las Vegas 83%
WestJet Honolulu 80%
Swoop Mesa 78%
Swoop Las Vegas 77%
WestJet Orlando 75%
Swoop Palm Springs 57% (discontinued)
Flair Mesa 56%
Swoop San Diego 53% (discontinued)
Flair Las Vegas 44%
Swoop Orlando 44% (discontinued)
Flair Burbank 42% (discontinued)
Flair Palm Springs 39%

From: https://www.transportation.gov/poli...l-air-passenger-and-freight-statistics-report

I dug into the Flair flight to Burbank flight data out of curiosity

December 2021 - 1,512 seats - 371 passengers - 24.5% load factor
January 2022 - 3,024 seats - 420 passengers - 13.9% load factor
February 2022 - 3,024 seat - 384 passengers - 12.7% load factor
March 2022 - 567 seats - 242 passengers - 42.7% load factor

Not surprised this was cancelled in March.... Hopefully flying into LAX is a bit more profitable for them

Just went to Edmonton airport Wikipedia page and found out that Swoop is pretty much cutting all Canadian destinations out of YEG. Checked on Swoop's website and it does appear to be like that. Wondering what Swoop is doing? Are they folding Swoop up? The fact that YEG-YYZ is getting cut is pretty significant. Do you think they're putting these flights back to Westjet?
1673049604153.png

Swoop was an absolute crap product with poor execution from an airline that had no strategic use for it other than to fend off Flair. If it is truly is retrenching then good riddance.

Hey folks looking to get some advice here.

My girlfriend and I are seriously thinking of going to Europe this fall (likely November) and started to do some research into flights. Ideally, I would like to take KLM directly to Amsterdam so not to deal with any connections and to get there as soon as possible without delay. As well as to support YEG and this route. Prices are a bit steep so if anyone here has taken this route, how was the experience? Worth the extra pay? As well, since I haven't gone to Europe in many years, would it be worthwhile to wait a few months and keep an eye on prices?
not sure if you’ve found your flight, but Google flights is showing November departures and returns on Tuesday is November for $846 round trip at the moment :)

btw, when I was booking a hotel recently I was getting different prices depending on what city I set my VPN to…havent see it work with flights yet but worth a shot

We have to learn that it's Okay to spend money on things that will be used by visitors to the city. Tourism is not a dirty word.

Doing so benefits all of us.
Agreed. Tourism is especially good because it brings money made elsewhere and invests it here.

But I do agree with Cooper that our primary base for this is workers. Thousands of employees who are daily riders. Vs people who occasionally come here for work or locals going to/from vacays or work trips.
3F2165C1-C4B7-4815-8FF5-1F8324991FD0.png

There are tens of thousands of travelers daily at the airport vs. 2 or 3? thousand employees. Why not go for the larger market? If you make the service good enough to attract business travelers you will undoubtedly also attract workers. We need to aim high.

Back