News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

Montreal is 2nd largest metro and twice as large as Vancouver metro and 3 tines as large as Edmonton or Calgary. By airport passenger volume YUL is either 3rd or 4th depending on the year. and no doubt will return to 2nd with some strategic changes and organic growth at YUL.
Apologies, for I was referring to passenger volume.

YYZ
YVR
YUL
YYC

YUL and YYC go back and forth of late, but YUL is a much more important airport internationally.

Correction: Montreal is 2nd largest metro, about 30% larger than Vancouver metro and about 2.5 times Edmonton or Calgary.
Also, it is unlikely that YUL will be back at 2nd for passenger volume anytime soon, considering all of the Asian connections YVR has and competition with YYT and YHZ for European routes. They might be back to 3rd, passing Calgary back up again, but that's it.
The percentages you mention off - but anyway here are StatsCan estimates.

Montreal CMA Jan 2022: 4,342,213
Vancouver CMA Jan 2022: 2,773,148
Edmonton CMA Jan 2022: 1,480,754

Top 4 airports - International (incl. Transborder) passenger numbers in Q1 2022.

YYZ 3.2 million
YUL 1,471,908
YVR 1,160,239
YYC 661,750

Airport Vicinity Protection Area​

In Alberta, provincial government regulations pertaining to airport noise and related protection areas were first developed in the 1970s in reference to Calgary International Airport. Referred to as Airport Vicinity Protection Area (AVPA) regulations, these rules governed the development of lands affected by aircraft noise using mapped protection areas called Noise Exposure Forecast (NEF) contours.
In 1981, similar rules and NEF contours were applied to Edmonton International Airport under separate AVPA regulations that supersede any local planning document. There are two sets of AVPA Regulations in Alberta – one set pertaining to the Calgary airport and one set pertaining to the Edmonton airport.
In May 2022, changes were made to the Edmonton AVPA Regulation, which will have significant, positive, long-term impacts on the City of Leduc and our ability to grow for decades to come.
Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 3.38.36 PM.png

Canadian airport betting big on hydrogen

Edmonton International Airport expects to see hydrogen aircraft by 2025 at the latest
Photo of Alyssa Sporrer Alyssa Sporrer

Odd. It always seemed steady when I was there. I dont much like Heineken and would walk a bit further to the Belgium bar, but still.

The Heiny bar closed during COVID and never reopened unlike the Belgian bar. Edit, the Belgian Bar actually remained opened during COVID….On the contrary, I’ll take one of their green bottles every day all day over anyone else’s bottle….lol

Perhaps a Carlsberg or Becks Lounge in lies of? If there are such things

Last edited:
Grrrr…..our first trip in over 2 years…..Vegas….of course….and we have to fly Swoop!! Why? Cause Flair has terrible options….Eg, Friday to Monday! Who flys Fri-Mon to Vegas?! No one! I’m a cheapo Joe when it comes flying to Vegas…..I’d fly cargo if I could…..so Westjet is out cause we prefer to buy a al carte and not bundle a vacation together

Grrrr…..our first trip in over 2 years…..Vegas….of course….and we have to fly Swoop!! Why? Cause Flair has terrible options….Eg, Friday to Monday! Who flys Fri-Mon to Vegas?! No one! I’m a cheapo Joe when it comes flying to Vegas…..I’d fly cargo if I could…..so Westjet is out cause we prefer to buy a al carte and not bundle a vacation together
Westjet sells flights only. Westjet Vacations sells packages.

Back