News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

I feel sorry for you. You feel compelled to keep promoting other airports and places because you must think that will help Edmonton. It won't. The people who can fix things are at EIA, Edmonton Metropolitan Region Board, Explore Edmonton and the Edmonton Chamber of Commerce. Its most likely that none of these organizations or people involved are reading your posts. Why don't you put your energy into thinking about solutions to help ERAA attract new routes and for the current airlines to grow their services out of Edmonton? Better yet submit to be on the Board of ERAA or invest some time with our new Federal Cabinet Minister and see if there are suggestions that might come forth to involve the Feds with some growth money for routes and more cargo development etc. You were in a great role with the EDBA so know some key players in the community. Use the skills we all know you have and our contacts.
Well said! @IanO if you gather some serious and well structures ideas, I can even get you a sit down with Randy for a coffee.

My son and his girlfriend flew Flair to Victoria. It was pretty decent. Some aircraft trouble which resulted in a flight delay going back, but good customer service.

From SSP:

JakeLRS

Swoop Expansion Incoming

Looks like they are loading new flights and destinations into the system... and Edmonton is getting a HUGE bump.

NEW ROUTES
Palm Springs - 2x Weekly - Starts December 16, 2021
Charlottetown - 2x Weekly - Starts June 15, 2022
Comox - 3x Weekly - Starts June 9, 2022
Moncton - 2x Weekly - Starts June 16, 2022
Ottawa - 3x Weekly - Starts April 25, 2022
Regina - 2x Weekly - Starts June 16, 2022
Saskatoon - 2x Weekly - Starts June 14, 2022

RETURNING ROUTES
London, ON - 3x Weekly - Returns June 2, 2022
Halifax - 5x Weekly - Returns May 1, 2022

YEAR ROUND ROUTES
Las Vegas - 1x Daily (all summer)
Mesa - 1x Weekly

Good. It is clear that Flair is still more willing to experiment, but Swoop is giving us some good destinations. Too bad that Swoop is basically WestJet trying to kill off Flair and the network they are building out of YEG. But I'll take the new routes, and the competition. I think its pretty clear by now that WestJet is really, really scared of Flair, and the potential permanent loss of YEG traffic to feed their Calgary hub, otherwise, they would absolutely not allow their subsidiary Swoop to start up routes like Edmonton-Moncton, Edmonton-Charlottetown.

Been using Swoop between YEG and YXX for over a year now....average at best....they must cram an extra 10 rows in there....took Flair last week for the first time and it was GREAT! Clean, new jet...powerful MAX 8 GE engines, a few more inches of leg room, quiet - I'm ALL in for Flair now.......maybe they'll get a credit card partnership going and start offering "Miles"....lol

I think its pretty clear by now that WestJet is really, really scared of Flair, and the potential permanent loss of YEG traffic to feed their Calgary hub, otherwise, they would absolutely not allow their subsidiary Swoop to start up routes like Edmonton-Moncton, Edmonton-Charlottetown.

I don't necessarily agree. WestJet doesn't even fly Calgary-Moncton, so this route would have no impact on Calgary. Anyone flying Edmonton to Moncton would be connecting in Toronto on either AC or WS.

I don't think there is any doubt that WestJet would have preferred to start Calgary-Moncton to fortify their Calgary hub. But they are trying to outrun Flair at YEG, hence, Swoop has started this route.. trying to find routes that Flair is likely looking at, and start them before Flair does.

Edmonton Moncton seems a good fit. the number of people that still fly in for work from that part of the country is still quite high. There are guys flying in to YEG to catch a flight to Kitimat as well.

Back