News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton International Airport (EIA/YEG)

I wouldn't expect specific route announcements at the annual public meeting. But they might drop hints or potentials.
Nevertheless I'd love to hear something like "We're working with a major U.S. carrier on landing year-round service to one of the top hub airports in the United States." Thus we would know it was a significant potential development and not something silly like summer-only service to a secondary airport.

Nevertheless I'd love to hear something like "We're working with a major U.S. carrier on landing year-round service to one of the top hub airports in the United States." Thus we would know it was a significant potential development and not something silly like summer-only service to a secondary airport.
Have you been following the YEG management long? If anything they will stick to their M.O. of pilot pet projects first by announcing their new net-zero autonomous vehicle go-cart track expansion to be fueled by the solar farm touting the benefits of the YEG being the leading sustainability airport in North America. Then maybe if they have time after that announcement they might talk about their work to secure Spirit Airlines to Boise, Idaho or something like that.

Response from "a bit delusional" and enjoying (facetiously) that nom-de-plume -- Edmonton has two "start-up" air carriers that are -- of significant note on the National and International scene -- Flair and Morningstar. Flair is an Ultra low cost passenger carrier and Morningstar is a freight carrier with its most notable client being FedEx in Canada.
These are snapz taken from websites that underscore their respective relevancy:
Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 3.35.44 PM.png

*** It should be noted that Edmonton also has Flair-scheduled-flights from Edmonton to U.S. and Mexico cities (i.e. International Destinations). Both of these airlines are small but significant start-ups and Edmonton based Hubs -- Edmonton has a significant history of starting world-class companies -- there are those who think otherwise and they make up the nay-sayer detractors who, from time to time, need to be called out on their unfounded comments.
Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 3.49.01 PM.png

Response from "a bit delusional" and enjoying (facetiously) that nom-de-plume -- Edmonton has two "start-up" air carriers that are -- of significant note on the National and International scene -- Flair and Morningstar. Flair is an Ultra low cost passenger carrier and Morningstar is a freight carrier with its most notable client being FedEx in Canada.
These are snapz taken from websites that underscore their respective relevancy:
View attachment 468102
*** It should be noted that Edmonton also has Flair-scheduled-flights from Edmonton to U.S. and Mexico cities (i.e. International Destinations). Both of these airlines are small but significant start-ups and Edmonton based Hubs -- Edmonton has a significant history of starting world-class companies -- there are those who think otherwise and they make up the nay-sayer detractors who, from time to time, need to be called out on their unfounded comments.
View attachment 468101
I think the point David A was trying to make is that significant international links haven't been very successful from any Western Canadian city other than YVR.

We lost our AC non-stop to Heathrow because AC pulled it in a fit of pique over Icelandair. Then we lost Icelandair. Hopefully we can keep KLM. I've long wanted to see nonstop LH service to Frankfurt--a summer service from Condor is a poor substitute. The erosion of transborder services at YEG has also been absolutely horrific: losing ORD, EWR, IAH, SLC, MSP (on Delta), DFW, PHX (on AA).

Calgary lost British Airways and Lufthansa. Korean Air couldn't make a go of non-stop service to ICN. I give WestJet props for trying to build an international hub in YYC but I don't know how successful, say, Calgary-Barcelona is going to be in the long haul.

The only Western hub that seems to be having any success is YVR, which gained Turkish Airlines after a long campaign and has an impressive variety of services from carriers like ANA, Korean, EVA, China Airlines, Air China, Cathay, Lufthansa, Edelweiss, British Airways, Air France, KLM, Air India and more. The only downer was the news that SQ is pulling out again.

I at least want to see YEG offer service to a few major international hubs, or at least one in Asia. I recently got talking to someone who immigrated to Edmonton via Amsterdam's direct flight, and I feel that is a huge mark on how valuable those connections are to the city's economy.

It's embarrassing that someone drops everything to build a new life in the country that I love and their first experience with Canada is often the mess that is Toronto-Pearson.

I at least want to see YEG offer service to a few major international hubs, or at least one in Asia. I recently got talking to someone who immigrated to Edmonton via Amsterdam's direct flight, and I feel that is a huge mark on how valuable those connections are to the city's economy.

It's embarrassing that someone drops everything to build a new life in the country that I love and their first experience with Canada is often the mess that is Toronto-Pearson.
Many of the world's most important hub airports often struggle--look at all the issues Heathrow has had over the years: it's underbuilt (can't seem to add a third runway despite years of analysis and discussion), plagued by capacity problems, is the subject of constant complaints from the public (it seems every holiday period there are horror stories about massive queues at UK Border checkpoints in T2 or T5). Look at the mess Schiphol was in not long ago--and the Dutch authorities are still fighting the airlines over efforts to reduce flights at peak times to keep the facility from bottlenecking. JFK seems to receive lots of complaints from Americans and visitors. You could say Pearson, for all its faults, is in good company. It's indisputably Canada's most important air gateway and so will always be under major pressure.

I would say the situation HAS improved at certain airports. The decision by Theresa May's government in 2019 to allow certain non-UK and non-EU citizens to use e-gates was brilliant and has made a real difference in cutting down wait times at LHR. By contrast the EU--stupidly--won't allow Canadians, Americans, Australians, etc. to use e-gates when entering EU territory.

I also love the ITD OSS process at Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver: coming from low-risk destinations on certain airlines you no longer have to retrieve your bags at your first airport in Canada (they're sent straight through to your destination) and don't have to leave the secure area to make your C&I declarations so you don't need to undergo security rescreening. We came home from Slovenia last month via Frankfurt and Toronto: cleared security at LJU, seamless connection at FRA, made our declarations at YYZ, scanned our boarding pass and went right to our gate for YEG with no hassle. Took all of about five minutes to clear CBSA.

So it's a lot easier to use Pearson--at least coming back, and from certain points of origin, than it used to be.

It was easy enough to understand. Just takes a little bit of reading between the lines. Doesn't hurt, for most people
Thanks. I did put the word international in there intentionally. Of course, I was not referring to domestic service. Here we also historically tend to differentiate between US and international (confusing I know), so I wasn't referring to US service either.

I also did not mean there is or should be no international service from other cities in western Canada. It is just that most of it will be from one city, hence the word hub.

When I went to Asia, I got a flight from Vancouver, which geographically makes sense. I would not expect to fly there direct from Regina, Calgary or Edmonton. However some service to Europe from other places in western Canada does geographically make sense.

Thanks. I did put the word international in there intentionally. Of course, I was not referring to domestic service. Here we also historically tend to differentiate between US and international (confusing I know), so I wasn't referring to US service either.

I also did not mean there is or should be no international service from other cities in western Canada. It is just that most of it will be from one city, hence the word hub.

When I went to Asia, I got a flight from Vancouver, which geographically makes sense. I would not expect to fly there direct from Regina, Calgary or Edmonton. However some service to Europe from other places in western Canada does geographically make sense.
I just don't know how successful some links (in operation or proposed) will be. WestJet has set up a hub for European (and Tokyo) flights at YYC, but it's hard to predict whether it's going to last. I doubt anyone from BC will use YYC as a connection point to Europe when they can fly direct from YVR, and no one is going to fly east only to board a plane to NRT. European traffic from Manitoba and Saskatchewan would find it just as easy to connect in Toronto as Calgary--the benefit of flying through YYZ is a shorter transatlantic journey.

The advantage of flying through YYZ or YVR over YYC is that you can choose from superior airlines: I'd rather fly transatlantic with Lufthansa, Air France or British Airways than WestJet and for transpacific journeys ANA, JAL or Korean will deliver a better in-flight experience. The only way WestJet will see some success is if they offer a significant price advantage for, say, popular European destinations. But from the searches I've done the price difference only seems to be about $100 or so on some itineraries.

Did you not read this article distance is not the issue.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, is the largest northernmost city in North America. Its strategic location is rapidly being recognised internationally as a key multimodal global logistics hub and vital trade corridor for Canada.

Edmonton International Airport (YEG) is one the closest major North American airports to many parts of Asia by circumpolar routes. Interestingly, the Edmonton to Beijing flight path is one the shortest of any major city in North America, and there is only about nine minutes difference in flight time from Edmonton to Hong Kong or Shanghai compared to Vancouver.

Back