Connect Centre | 56.3m | 16s | ONE Properties | DIALOG

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
With office vacancies at a 30 year high plus the CWB office tower being erected, it’s a hard business case for an office tower at the Baccarat site unfortunately

Rather than 55 stor
Read an article that UBC is building a 55 storey residence in Kelowna for that campus
...interesting. I think U of A and MacEwan should cross references as to what aspects both universities could share. I'm curious if needs could fulfill Bacarat lot and directly across east lot. If the two propose sharing components including lecture spaces, labs, machineries etc... it could be a go. There were earlier talks regarding UofA and the Galeria...
Also, is the Galeria opened to entertaining their ideas in conjunction with the Universities to smaller scale like phase built up? Should we revisit this idea as it has been a while?

Rather than 55 stor
Read an article that UBC is building a 55 storey residence in Kelowna for that campus
...interesting. I think U of A and MacEwan should cross references as to what aspects both universities could share. I'm curious if needs could fulfill Bacarat lot and directly across east lot. If the two propose sharing components including lecture spaces, labs, machineries etc... it could be a go. There were earlier talks regarding UofA and the Galeria...
Also, is the Galeria opened to entertaining their ideas in conjunction with the Universities to smaller scale like phase built up? Should we revisit this idea as it has been a while

Most post-secondary are consolidating campuses, not expanding and cross-pollination between the two can be complicated from a resource, funding and asset perspective.

Unless Universities became privatized, what assets are you referring? As to cross pollination, I would not suggest that, I just merely suggest sharing of space for it would be grander. Each incumbent would still maintain their autonomy if that was your understanding...
They can still have their borders of distinctions so fundings shouldn't change.

Shared space would require someone to pay for said space and so the leases could be come complicated, that's all.

How hard for two roommates to share an apartment if you get along; or two neighbors in a duplex? Split everything 50/50. If we are throwing the angle of University downsizing, how much more pragmatically than this? When two heads ruminate together, their funding can go further in overall deliveries imo.

How hard for two roommates to share an apartment if you get along; or two neighbors in a duplex? Split everything 50/50. If we are throwing the angle of University downsizing, how much more pragmatically than this? When two heads ruminate together, their funding can go further in overall deliveries imo.
Give the UCP another reason to cut funding.

Hopefully they don't think that way but continue funding and allow the universities full advantages in free thinking for greater values.

Rather than 55 stor

Also, is the Galeria opened to entertaining their ideas in conjunction with the Universities to smaller scale like phase built up? Should we revisit this idea as it has been a while
Interesting, but I really have to wonder how comparable Kelowna is to Edmonton. Like most BC places, it has severe physical constraints we don't have in Alberta - mountains, water and very limited agricultural land they are trying to keep from being developed.

There are also a number of lots available, many closer to MacEwan that could be developed as student housing. It is not like this particular spot is the only one available and its not even the best one for this purpose.

I suspect the value of the land for this location also means it will not be developed for student housing. Unfortunately it is a tricky site so suspect will not be developed quickly unless their is an unexpected revival in demand for commercial office space.

C9CD370B-0068-45E8-89E1-3886AF225FE1.jpeg
34945099-57B3-4ABC-B751-6EBB6661E18F.jpeg

I am a fan of the way Plantlife blocks their windows using the greenery instead of just mirrored glass. Much nicer feel.

Last edited:
Agreed. With proper lighting it'll look not bad given the constraints.

Back