• Total voters

Gronk!

Member Bio
Reaction score

1659556163741.png

KreationYEG

Member Bio
Reaction score
Any one know if there is still plans to develop the property between the Affordable Storage Center and the CBSA building (Unless thats part of the lot aswell)? I know it would not be any time soon as they would probably keep that lot for staging during the construction of the CWB HQ.

It was in the original drawings of the Ice District as a mid rise residential.

JNO1

Member Bio
Reaction score
I would love to see Katz/One pick up the storage building and adjacent parking lot and with their own lot immediately north, develop a twin tower residential complex with a completely renovated Horne and Pitfield building. Some cool loft units like the Excelsior across the street. Maybe the size of the two current parking lots together would make a larger development possible and the whole H&P building could be saved, not just the facade.

Clearshades

Member Bio
Reaction score
Bacarat corner is vita but complicated as it is designated for a signature tower. Which other corporate will need space? I'm curious if MacEwan U would consider join ventures with this lot and directly East. Perhaps a skinny portion of real-estate directly north if Roger's could be allotted for student housings so as to connect everything to the main portion of Campus? If we are waiting for office corporate, that might be too long. Also, can MacE and UoA do joint ventures for spaces?

northlands

Member Bio
Reaction score
With office vacancies at a 30 year high plus the CWB office tower being erected, it’s a hard business case for an office tower at the Baccarat site unfortunately

Clearshades

Member Bio
Reaction score
Rather than 55 stor
Read an article that UBC is building a 55 storey residence in Kelowna for that campus
...interesting. I think U of A and MacEwan should cross references as to what aspects both universities could share. I'm curious if needs could fulfill Bacarat lot and directly across east lot. If the two propose sharing components including lecture spaces, labs, machineries etc... it could be a go. There were earlier talks regarding UofA and the Galeria...
Also, is the Galeria opened to entertaining their ideas in conjunction with the Universities to smaller scale like phase built up? Should we revisit this idea as it has been a while?

Clearshades

Member Bio
Reaction score
Rather than 55 stor
Read an article that UBC is building a 55 storey residence in Kelowna for that campus
...interesting. I think U of A and MacEwan should cross references as to what aspects both universities could share. I'm curious if needs could fulfill Bacarat lot and directly across east lot. If the two propose sharing components including lecture spaces, labs, machineries etc... it could be a go. There were earlier talks regarding UofA and the Galeria...
Also, is the Galeria opened to entertaining their ideas in conjunction with the Universities to smaller scale like phase built up? Should we revisit this idea as it has been a while

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Most post-secondary are consolidating campuses, not expanding and cross-pollination between the two can be complicated from a resource, funding and asset perspective.

Clearshades

Member Bio
Reaction score
Unless Universities became privatized, what assets are you referring? As to cross pollination, I would not suggest that, I just merely suggest sharing of space for it would be grander. Each incumbent would still maintain their autonomy if that was your understanding...
They can still have their borders of distinctions so fundings shouldn't change.

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Shared space would require someone to pay for said space and so the leases could be come complicated, that's all.

Clearshades

Member Bio
Reaction score
How hard for two roommates to share an apartment if you get along; or two neighbors in a duplex? Split everything 50/50. If we are throwing the angle of University downsizing, how much more pragmatically than this? When two heads ruminate together, their funding can go further in overall deliveries imo.