News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

Edmonton Companies News & Discussion

IMG_2111.png

This might be old news by now:
Splitting hairs, but it's not really much of a win for Edmonton.. FTA:
Many of the companies relocating to the region are choosing to do so south of Edmonton rather than within the city’s boundaries, Maimann said. He said that could be explained by the soil in the industrial areas.

Big win for Leduc though! They'll be able to afford gold plated lamp posts soon if this keeps up. :cool:

Discovery Park across the highway has a lot of vacant service land and are adding even more This land was annexed by the city a few years ago.

Splitting hairs, but it's not really much of a win for Edmonton.. FTA:

Big win for Leduc though! They'll be able to afford gold plated lamp posts soon if this keeps up. :cool:
I would look at this as being a positive thing, but agree we need to do more to attract more than the usual industrial or warehouse firms which are often not even located in the city itself.

The city needs to do much more to attract business to the downtown core. This has been a shortcoming for a long time.

I would look at this as being a positive thing, but agree we need to do more to attract more than the usual industrial or warehouse firms which are often not even located in the city itself.

The city needs to do much more to attract business to the downtown core. This has been a shortcoming for a long time.

Agree with you there, but it also continues to amuse me how Edmonton cannot get into annexing the surrounding areas, not even its own airport!

I wonder what the city did to piss off the province so much that the grudge is held to this day...

As far as attracting businesses to the core, see my comments in the 50st grade separation thread.

Imagine the city economic development people taking those business owners on a drive from nisku or leduc into downtown trying to persuade them to at least put their offices there.

It's not really a visually appealing journey is it?

Its not so much that the city upset the province, but the surrounding areas who don't want to be annexed were more likely to vote for the parties generally in power provincially.

The market for downtown space is a different one than for warehouses in Nisku. The latter is easy for Edmonton, the former not. Our city politicians have avoided rising to the challenge and just take the easy way.

Unfortunately that means most of the economic development goes to Leduc or other municipalities while Edmontons core stagnates.

It isn't just the 22 surrounding communities don't want to be annexed it's also the provincial government not wanting YEG to gain to much power. I remember the augment when St Albert and Sherwood Park were talked about being annexed back in the Klien Years

It isn't just the 22 surrounding communities don't want to be annexed it's also the provincial government not wanting YEG to gain to much power. I remember the augment when St Albert and Sherwood Park were talked about being annexed back in the Klien Years
I know St Albert is an old community, so it made sense they were separate historically. But isn't the entire entire existence of Sherwood park and it's ownership of refinery row a spite move on the part of the province?

Well before my time though, so I'm not familiar with the reasons behind that. Just seems like there has been several deliberate moves over the years aimed at kneecapping Edmonton's potential tax base.

Back