News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Companies News & Discussion

I really don't want to crap on Amii or anyone in particular, but has anyone else noticed it seems like there's this sort of inner circle of folks who just cycle through these sort of firms here in Edmonton? The VP Product for Amii interviewed worked previously for Edm Economic Development Corporation and Innovate Edmonton. Looking at some other profiles of higher mgmt at Amii, it's a lot of people who previously worked for EEDC, Start-up Edmonton, Innovate Edmonton, Explore Edmonton, Alberta Innovates, etc.

I get there's a lot of crossover between those companies that feed into Amii (I guess?) and I respect them obviously wanting to hire a lot of local talent, but the performance of pretty much all of those aforementioned firms has been at best mediocre. I just do not want to see Amii falling to the same fate.

Some big industrial projects in the Edmonton area, getting us back to our glorious blue collar roots.
The larger trends of western economies moving away from globalized supply chains and the "re-industrializing" of North America are starting to play out favorably for Edmonton, which has always had a decent manufacturing base (but hollowed out to an extent, up to now).

• Imperial Oil, the second-largest integrated oil company in Canada, is moving forward with plans to build a $720-million renewable diesel facility at its Strathcona refinery. The project, which was first announced in August 2021, is expected to be complete in 2025. It will be the largest facility of its kind in Canada and produce 20,000 barrels of renewable diesel per day. Building the facility will create about 600 construction jobs, the company said. - Taproot

• Imperial Oil, the second-largest integrated oil company in Canada, is moving forward with plans to build a $720-million renewable diesel facility at its Strathcona refinery. The project, which was first announced in August 2021, is expected to be complete in 2025. It will be the largest facility of its kind in Canada and produce 20,000 barrels of renewable diesel per day. Building the facility will create about 600 construction jobs, the company said. - Taproot

Screenshot_20230127-082327_Samsung Internet.jpg

Nice to have these investments to support our economy and also reduce impact on climate and health. I feel bad for people who have to work around petroleum diesel- it is nasty.

My dad passed away several years ago from lung cancer and of course that was one of the first questions they asked him when he was diagnosed.

For the record from cancer society:
Several studies of workers exposed to diesel exhaust have shown small but significant increases in risk of lung cancer.

I love how the Air Products hydrogen facility to be built in Edmonton will directly support the Imperial Oil renewable diesel facility and how a major customer in BC is already solidified.

"The company’s news release said Imperial is developing agreements with third parties for the feedstock supply, and working with Air Products, a Pennsylvania company constructing a facility near Edmonton, to provide the hydrogen.

Imperial intends to supply British Columbia with a “significant portion” of the renewable diesel produced at the facility to support that province’s plan to lower carbon emissions.

This is the only thing I could find on the Kenney pharmaceutical / COVID manufacturing announcement from 2021. The article is merely a funding announcement for research, but I recall there was supposed to be some of manufacturing plant built at the Edmonton Research park.

This is the only thing I could find on the Kenney pharmaceutical / COVID manufacturing announcement from 2021. The article is merely a funding announcement for research, but I recall there was supposed to be some of manufacturing plant built at the Edmonton Research park.

Thanks for the reminder, I completely forgot about this announcement.

Last edited:

Back