News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Companies News & Discussion

I can remember back in the 70s when Lougheed was moving all the head offices south the sentiment among many people around here was “head offices smeck offices who needs them we have all the construction oil and gas jobs besides we should learn to share”. I don’t imagine the city or the wider community could have done anything to halt the outward migration but what a short sighted perspective.
I'd be interested to know more about Lougheed's decision to do this (I was not around at all during the 70s ). I want to know when and how Calgary started attracted HQs.

At the risk of hearing about fake IT call center jobs, I am posting this here about Winnipeg landing the second Neo financial headquarters queuing up 300 new jobs in their downtown:

Some good news for Edmonton based Samdesk, as per the Taproot article yesterday.

" The two-year contract is in the “high six figures” Neufeld said, adding that size of deal is “becoming the new norm” for the company which has contracts with many defence departments and is in talks with other emergency response organizations around the globe."
I hope they can snag many more of these contracts and keep more of our local talent here.

What in the absolute F?

'The city will lower business licence fees for cannabis retail shops by 90% in 2022 —— from $2,500 to $255. Coun. Scott McKeen, who serves as chairman of the Edmonton Cannabis Coalition, hopes that by lowering fees retailers can reduce their prices enough to stymie the black market.'

I have it on good authority that the Safeway on Jasper/122 Street will be opening before the end of September. Couldn't confirm if there will be a Starbucks in it, though.

Starbucks has closed on 109 st and Jasper Ave apparently?
Yes, it has. Although there's still one in the Canterra, inside the Save On (just a kiosk).

Answering the people who asked for the Starbucks locations in the core and surroundings: we currently have one inside Commerce Place, one inside the Safeway (kiosk, Oliver Square), one inside the Save On Foods (kiosk, Canterra), one in the Brewery District (119 St/104 Avenue), one inside MacEwan's 105 st Building, one inside Rogers Place (kiosk) and one on 107 st/100 Avenue. We'll likely see one inside Safeway on Jasper/122 (kiosk).

They've closed, in the last year or so: Jasper/119 st (across from Rexall), Jasper/109st (Canterra), 104 Avenue/112 st, Empire Bldg (Jasper/101 st).
The kiosk inside the Safeway (Oliver Square) will likely close if one opens in the new Safeway store, as that store will possibly be rebranded.

If you ask me, 11 the Starbucks locations, between Oliver and Downtown is way too much, especially with some being so close together. I do wish they had kept the at least one actual store (not kiosk) on Jasper between 124 and 109 st, though.

I am going to miss having a Starbux that is street front in the downtown core. In other news to me anyway in the post above is that Safeway is relocating to 122 Street. Is that in the City Market space? And where is it going ... in the old Safeway location or is a new No Frills or Sobeys opening there?

I am going to miss having a Starbux that is street front in the downtown core. In other news to me anyway in the post above is that Safeway is relocating to 122 Street. Is that in the City Market space? And where is it going ... in the old Safeway location or is a new No Frills or Sobeys opening there?
Safeway is going on the old Planet Organic, right beside CWB, on Jasper Ave.
I agree with you, but with the lease rates and the concentration of stores (and competition), it makes more sense to do what they did, business-wise.
The Safeway on 104 Ave (Oliver/Unity Square East) will likely - note that I'm not giving certainty - be rebranded (not sure to what... My guess would be a Sobeys, thought).

So the Safeway we had on Jasper and 117th was closed down years ago. Then the one on 124th and 102nd was closed down after the one in Unity Square opened. Those stores all owned by Oakland based Safeway. Now the community is getting a new Safeway on Jasper and 122nd from Sobeys Canada. I think this is a smart move for Sobeys. I have said before that crossing LRT tracks and extra wait time at cross walks is an impediment for many people to shop at Unity Square, particularly in winter. Safeway knows who their customers are and will move south of 104th Avenue to be closer to them and distance themselves from City Market. They are also capturing some of the density occurring near the new location.

Back