News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton Companies News & Discussion

Labatt's expanding Edmonton operations

$69million specifically into Edmonton facility and 25 new jobs.

The Edmonton brewery investment will support new technology, equipment, product lines and upgrades to the brewhouse and control room. It will also fund 30,000 square feet of new warehouse space and a 30,000 square-foot ready-to-drink building to support expanded brewing type and capacity.

Here’s another Billion dollar project. To all of those naysayers that insist that only if a NAIT Computing sciences grad can’t apply then it’s not a real job. Once again, a 1000 construction jobs and hundreds of operations and maintenance jobs at it again. I’ll take this bird in a hand any day over “Call Center jobs posing as fake IT engineering jobs.”

Here’s another Billion dollar project. To all of those naysayers that insist that only if a NAIT Computing sciences grad can’t apply then it’s not a real job. Once again, a 1000 construction jobs and hundreds of operations and maintenance jobs at it again. I’ll take this bird in a hand any day over “Call Center jobs posing as fake IT engineering jobs.”

1628604749677.png

Great to hear of another big add to the “Hydrogen Hub”. An important add for a number of reasons: good paying jobs (both temp. construction and permanent O&M); an increase to and diversification of the tax base; continues the momentum that is being established for the Edmonton Region becoming a major North American player in the new green/ hydrogen energy industry. We need to try and ensure Edmonton based firms like Stantec and PCL are in on as many of these projects as possible leading to more engineering, PM and admin jobs.
Hoping for a few more of these types of announcements for the Hydrogen Hub over the next little bit.

@MacLac just wondering why you refer to the recent announcements for our friends down south as “call Center jobs posing as fake engineering/IT jobs”? When I read the press releases it seemed like the jobs were pretty decent “IT” jobs.
Just asking an honest question here , not trying to pick a fight.

@MacLac just wondering why you refer to the recent announcements for our friends down south as “call Center jobs posing as fake engineering/IT jobs”? When I read the press releases it seemed like the jobs were pretty decent “IT” jobs.
@JNO1, if you have absolutely nothing at all to do today, scroll through previous posts MacLac has on this thread. He loves to peddle some theme in which he bashes "Call center IT jobs" (quotations are his in every post he has made about them) i.e. any tech job that the province is getting. Its almost like the theme is that these tech jobs are over taking his O&G jobs. His posts are usually a scroll past for me but today's he just couldn't help himself sound like the old senile grandma. No merit to his posts usually other than his O&G buddies not being able to find baggage handling jobs because of "Call center jobs" taking over.

All good…..not fighting at all. We all know India is the “call Center” capital of the known universe. So when a city desperate like Calgary announces “Indian based companies” are creating 1000’s of jobs in empty office towers at insanely reduced rates….as IT engineering jobs! This is so hilarious that the Captain is sssooo jealous of those jobs. All they are doing is bringing back those IT jobs that we punted back to India in the 80’s. So when cities are desperate for “job announcements,” of course they are under the disguise as IT. When I worked for Shell and EnCana….we had to call India as they outsourced their “IT” departments. In theory…yes - they were/are considered IT jobs, as they answered their phones or emails as “IT,” but all they were doing was re-setting my email password….too funny. But someone as young and vulnerable as the Captain wouldn’t understand or know this info as he is so enamoured with “IT” jobs, as obviously he is engaged in that line of work

Last edited:
@JNO1, if you have absolutely nothing at all to do today, scroll through previous posts MacLac has on this thread. He loves to peddle some theme in which he bashes "Call center IT jobs" (quotations are his in every post he has made about them) i.e. any tech job that the province is getting. Its almost like the theme is that these tech jobs are over taking his O&G jobs. His posts are usually a scroll past for me but today's he just couldn't help himself sound like the old senile grandma. No merit to his posts usually other than his O&G buddies not being able to find baggage handling jobs because of "Call center jobs" taking over.
Not what I said, I was eluding to workers in Calgary being so desperate so work that they are applying for baggage handling g jobs…..wait a minute! I get it now…the Captain resides in Ctown…now it makes sense.

A jealous "Call center IT worker" living in Calgary, not quite but keep trying! What I do know is my head from my a** though and these are not call center IT jobs as other posters have mentioned. But keep posting your wild unsubstantiated opinion that these are call center jobs from India cause for some reason the powers that be decided it was in their best interest to move cheap labour call center jobs to a higher labour cost Calgary. Ya, that really sounds like it makes sense man keep going. Do you have any sources for this?

A jealous "Call center IT worker" living in Calgary, not quite but keep trying! What I do know is my head from my a** though and these are not call center IT jobs as other posters have mentioned. But keep posting your wild unsubstantiated opinion that these are call center jobs from India cause for some reason the powers that be decided it was in their best interest to move cheap labour call center jobs to a higher labour cost Calgary. Ya, that really sounds like it makes sense man keep going. Do you have any sources for this?
I don't know why you still lose your time with mr. "O&G is my religion".
Amazon and Google can announce they're moving their HQs and research facilities here and he'll still call it "Call center IT jobs". As long as it's not a blue collar industrial job (and preferably, always O&G), he'll never be satisfied. He wants us all back to the 80s, probably when granpa worked for Shell and EnCana.

Sorry I asked.

I wouldn't apologize if I were you, the internet as we have seen the past year plus is filled with misinformation and people confusing their opinion as fact. Personally, I choose to standup to the spread of misinformation and I have seen on several occasions in which MacLac posts falsely about IT call center jobs and fake IT engineering jobs coming to the province. This is simply not true, has not been substantiated by him with any source and rightfully should called out.

I wouldn't apologize if I were you, the internet as we have seen the past year plus is filled with misinformation and people confusing their opinion as fact. Personally, I choose to standup to the spread of misinformation and I have seen on several occasions in which MacLac posts falsely about IT call center jobs and fake IT engineering jobs coming to the province. This is simply not true, has not been substantiated by him with any source and rightfully should called out.
I think he's sorry for himself, considering the reply he's got.
But I stand with you... Just be careful, we're being policed

I think he's sorry for himself, considering the reply he's got.
But I stand with you... Just be careful, we're being policed
I mean, almost every online forum has moderators, so the fact that we are being 'policed' shouldn't be surprising to anyone. I, for one, value having moderation as it keeps discourse at a reasonable, respectful level.

I mean, almost every online forum has moderators, so the fact that we are being 'policed' shouldn't be surprising to anyone. I, for one, value having moderation as it keeps discourse at a reasonable, respectful level.
I still don't agree with what was done to me, especially because it was arbitrary and lopsided, completely undemocratic and, when I voiced my concern about it to the staff, I was dismissed with quite an authoritarian response. There's a difference between moderation and being flat out silenced without any warning or chance for defense. Nevertheless, I won't derail the topic with this, because if anything, I don't trust the mods to be fair and leave such a heavy critique on.

Back to the point in question, while I do like that we're getting investments in Hydrogen Energy and it's whole industry cycle, with good, high paying jobs that will likely absorb much of the workers migrating from the dying O&G industry, I still believe that Edmonton should be focusing on attracting more "white collar" jobs in fields such as IT (we have ENORMOUS potential, especially if we can stop and reverse the brain drain), Health (the U of A hospital and the College Health Sciences are among the top in North America) and Finance (we are home to two mid/large banks, with CWB being one of the top 10 largest banks by assets, market cap and revenue and ATB being top 12, and Servus, the second largest credit union in Canada). These jobs pay well and attract young, educated workers, that can help bolster our downtown and adjacent neighborhoods, they project the city to the world, much more than industrial plants (people will always link a company to it's HQ and the city where it is).

Back