News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton Companies News & Discussion

I don't have the time to do the count but it would be interesting to do a search by city/location and see who is doing what.

I don't have the time to do the count but it would be interesting to do a search by city/location and see who is doing what.
No, you shouldnt be - Edmonton Global and the City administration should be doing that and much more to help determine and position Edmonton strategically to be a much more business welcoming city that not only will attract companies / investment but also provide the necessary environment for growth. If you go by this list and its criteria alone (revenue growth over the past three years), I am still confident that our organizations are not doing a good enough job.

It's only one attribute but certainly telling as to where these high-growth companies are starting, being nurtured and growing rapidly in.

Here we go again... Maybe this quote should bear some thought at the front end of this discussion... from Edgar Allan Poe, "Believe nothing you hear, and only half that you see." The Globe and Mail is a Centre-right leaning "news" outlet that takes an elitist viewpoint well beyond the norm. While printed in several cities across central and western Canada its focus audience is in the Toronto suburbs and the "Golden Horseshoe" of Southern Ontario. To be fair and honest it might well have served this pronouncement better if one had published the "conditions" for the fabrication of this article -- attached here to clarify and elucidate. As a "volunteer" program the "study" really doesn't carry much weight. Most of the volunteers of necessity would come from Globe and Mail readership; by dint of the fact that if you are not a G & M reader then you wouldn't even know about the ranking and even if you were a G & M reader you might not really care as the business audience for your business might not at all line up with the G & M audience. This strikes me as a kind of "cementing the base for our readership" -- so-o-o-o, going back to EAP's quote, this falls into the "half" that I don't believe.
G&M.png

Another positive development for Edmonton based Samdesk.
Samdesk raises $13.5 million
Nice to hear all of this from one of our own homegrown success stories:

The business is headquartered in Edmonton, with offices in London, U.K. Most of the new hires will be in Edmonton, plus some in a few other locations
“Being based in Edmonton has helped us massively in building a strong corporate culture,” Neufeld told Taproot.
“Edmonton’s strength is in its down-to-earth, hard-working, and diverse people. This helps us build a company that clients love to work with, and allows us to scale a company with empathic people who care deeply about the problems they’re solving and the customers they’re serving. This is often overlooked, but is truly a competitive advantage and something I can’t say enough.

Neufeld also hopes the funding serves as further proof to other local startups that it’s possible to build in Edmonton.
“We are by no means the first, and we certainly know we will not be the last. We’re so excited to play a larger role in what future work looks like here. Beyond Edmonton, our province is facing an identity crisis. We hope this funding, and all the startups coming up, will continue to pave the way for a diversified economy and society that views its people, their dreams, education, and health as our true natural resources,” Neufeld said.

Might see an uptick in a year or 2 but will really pick up by 2025. There are a number of smaller projects that will take up a good chunk of the Industrial man power. The Hydrogen Plans as an example. But those are still a year or 2 away form starting construction. A large chunk of our industrial trades are working in BC right now but some of those will be coming back soon. LNG should be pretty much Done when these get started.

The largest project in Alberta in over 10 years. Wow! Edmonton is quickly going to boom again. Get ready everyone.
Wow! 4 Massive Industrial projects! Esso’s, Air Liquids, the Ammonia plant and now this! I’ll take these high paying construction and ultimately high paying Operations jobs any day over all this silly nanny “Tech” jobs down South! They can have them and their min. wage attachments

Wow! 4 Massive Industrial projects! Esso’s, Air Liquids, the Ammonia plant and now this! I’ll take these high paying construction and ultimately high paying Operations jobs any day over all this silly nanny “Tech” jobs down South! They can have them and their min. wage attachments
These kind of comments remind of the 1970s. “Who needs all those head office jobs when we have all work up here”. Such an attitude got us absolutely nowhere.

The Call Centre IT JobsTM are back it again 😭😭

Last edited:

Back