CNIB Redevelopment | 106m | 32s | ONE Properties | Wallman Architects

What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
Looks really busy - at first my mind wasn't sure if I liked it more, but I think it does. ?

The half inset looks good and I think the fact that it is a busy design will help it stick out.

It's a shame, but I can't say I like the revised design as much. To me the use of multicoloured spandrel makes it feel quite busy. I'm also sad to see that the jigsaw-esque overhangs seem to have been reduced in size, it definitely doesn't articulate the facade as well now.

I posted this for easy reference of the two renders side by side. I too was a little challenged deciding what I thought of the revisions. My vote still remains at 'I like it'. It's not a boring tower, which is very good. I guess you could say that they "cut some corners", which in initially gave the tower more of an Asian feel to me.

Render 1 Render 2
r
CNIB render 2.jpg

The original is much nicer and they definitely value engineered a bit. But I still like it, I never expected the original design to be final for a rental building. They did a good job to keep the design interesting, could have come out a lot worse considering the current market.

Permit Type
Major Development Permit
Permit Class
Class B
Permit Date
Jun 18, 2019
Status
Approved
Description of Development
To construct a 101.7 meter mixed-use, high-rise Tower, with Commercial podium to include Professional, Financial and Office Support Services on a portion of the lobby on the main floor and the second floor, and Residential lobby on a portion of the main floor, and General Retail Stores on a portion of the main floor; and an Apartment Housing Tower (with 332 Dwelling units); and an underground parkade. (Canadian National Institute for the Blind)
Address
101, 12024 - JASPER AVENUE NW

PERMIT_DATE August 16, 2019
JOB_CATEGORY Commercial Final
ADDRESS 10110 - 120 STREET NW
NEIGHBOURHOOD OLIVER
JOB_DESCRIPTION To construct a TEMPORARY HOARDING for pedestrian protection during construction of a new building. Consists of a covered walkway and fenced enclosure. August 16 2019 - May 1, 2020.
BUILDING_TYPE Hoarding (910)
WORK_TYPE (03) Exterior Alterations
CONSTRUCTION_VALUE 186,000

PERMIT_DATE September 19, 2019
JOB_CATEGORY Commercial Final
ADDRESS 10110 - 120 STREET NW
NEIGHBOURHOOD OLIVER
JOB_DESCRIPTION To construct EXCAVATION AND SHORING ONLY for a future mixed-use, high-rise tower - Canadian National Institute for the Blind.
BUILDING_TYPE Mixed Use (522)
WORK_TYPE (04) Excavation
CONSTRUCTION_VALUE 2,800,000

Back