News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton City Centre Mall (Renovations) | ?m | 2s | LaSalle Investment Management

I think it's both hilarious and sad that the most exciting topic in this thread is about a seasonal board game store opening. Don't get me wrong, any new retail downtown is a positive and I love to see small businesses take a chance on DT but...man.

It reminds me of the time in the mid-2000s when Tim Hortons opened at Jasper Ave and 107 St. There was so much excitement over this, all that was missing was a parade down Jasper Ave!
We've come a long long way since then, although ECC's pop-up board game store is a sign that we're slowly reverting back to 2005.

Thanks, @soupcrate - makes me wonder why they keep choosing ECC for a pop-up instead of WEM, Southgate, Kingsway, Londonderry, Bonnie Doon or Westmount.
IMO WEM and Kingsway already have gaming stores, Southgate too expensive and somewhat too close to their southside location. Londonderry ok but would be competing with Red Claw games nearby. Bonnie Doon is too close to their southside location. Leaves Westmount, which I don't have a theory except that maybe felt that it would be competing with Mission Fun and Games, not close but close enough.

It reminds me of the time in the mid-2000s when Tim Hortons opened at Jasper Ave and 107 St. There was so much excitement over this, all that was missing was a parade down Jasper Ave!
We've come a long long way since then, although ECC's pop-up board game store is a sign that we're slowly reverting back to 2005.

Yes and no.

Proportionately, we had more people working Downtown at the time, 10x the number of retail stores and a much safer and more inviting core.

TD Bank renovations are almost done

20231002_192121.jpg

20231002_192136.jpg

The Tim Hortons space was a financial institution for a long time and then empty for a while. I think having having Tim Hortons there was a great improvement over what was there before.

Yes, sadly it does seem like the last 5 years undid about 10 years of progress, but at this point that is like crying over spilled milk. It happened and we need to move forward, filling the space is progress.

Forget retailers, we need laser tag.
yo lowkey.... downtown ain't been the same since they tore down the laser tag behind MacEwan off 109

Back