News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Edmonton City Centre Mall (Renovations) | ?m | 2s | LaSalle Investment Management

yo lowkey.... downtown ain't been the same since they tore down the laser tag behind MacEwan off 109
Oh man... I used to know the girl who ran that place. Good times.

Pair that with the HK karaoke joint next door and you never had to leave.

I think @Glenco is referring to places like LA's Grand Central Market which is open daily -- https://grandcentralmarket.com/ -- from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. If you browse through the attached link you will get a sense of what he is referring to. It is certainly an event space and is packed with customers on a nearly continuous basis -- lots of individual experimentation going on; always interesting to visit. It does, however, require an intensive management effort.

I think @Glenco is referring to places like LA's Grand Central Market which is open daily -- https://grandcentralmarket.com/ -- from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. If you browse through the attached link you will get a sense of what he is referring to. It is certainly an event space and is packed with customers on a nearly continuous basis -- lots of individual experimentation going on; always interesting to visit. It does, however, require an intensive management effort.
I've always thought the Boardwalk building would be great for something like this.

Either of the Boardwalk or the vacated Bay space would need a massive investment in infrastructure -- Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing in order to suit up for something akin to the LA Grand Central Market. Architecturally, the Bay space would also have to open up to the Streets, both 102nd Avenue and 103rd Street. If that were to happen there would be a significant "spillover effect" for both the Boardwalk and the Revillon and a notable rationalization for the pedestrianization of 102nd Avenue would re-emerge. If the owners of the Bay space, Boardwalk/Revillon, Westrich (across the street), and the YMCA and the CoE all got together to work on a common plan, they could make it happen -- someone should light that fire.

Either of the Boardwalk or the vacated Bay space would need a massive investment in infrastructure -- Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing in order to suit up for something akin to the LA Grand Central Market. Architecturally, the Bay space would also have to open up to the Streets, both 102nd Avenue and 103rd Street. If that were to happen there would be a significant "spillover effect" for both the Boardwalk and the Revillon and a notable rationalization for the pedestrianization of 102nd Avenue would re-emerge. If the owners of the Bay space, Boardwalk/Revillon, Westrich (across the street), and the YMCA and the CoE all got together to work on a common plan, they could make it happen -- someone should light that fire.

In addition, the old HBC space will need 1 or 2 apartment buildings,

Yes @Gronk! I agree. There are a few options here -- 1. Demolish the above ground parkade at the North end of the Shopping Centre and rebuild it as an underground structure with a tower from grade on up -- this would have to be a humongous tower to cover the extra cost of construction/ economic equation -- maybe 50+ floors but it would be in line with its neighbours 2. build within the confines of the existing shopping centre. This would be a little trickier and would have to be done with several lines of soldier piles and load transfer beams. Height might be more limiting -- maybe in the 30 to 40 storeys range but could accommodate 2 towers relative to the footprint. The existing facade could remain largely intact -- the challenge would undoubtedly lead to more creative architecture and would be a huge plus for both the Mall and the City Centre. The thing is that the building/street interface would have to change dramatically in order to create an inviting solution.

I've always thought the Boardwalk building would be great for something like this.
Either the Boardwalk building or the old Bay space across the street would be great for a downtown market.

However ... I don't know what will happen with the Boardwalk building after all the reno work, but I feel it eventually it will be something more upscale.

I am guessing from the last plans (still applicable?) the old Bay space will be reworked, opened up some and divided into smaller retail and food court space, which could be quite nice. I suspect the owners are waiting for some indication of enough demand for the space before proceeding. It is probably the least costly option and closest to the past use of the space. I suppose it could be torn down and a residential tower built, which would be good too, but that would be a more major undertaking and somehow I don't see that particular spot being attractive enough for that currently. I think eventually such a tower will go where the parkade is, but that could be a while in the future.

image.jpg

The main part of the second level of the east side has been nicely filled now. Its been a while since I have been in the TD space, not sure what they are still working on.

It looked fairly done and much better when I was last there, but maybe there is more to go on the other side.

Back