News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton City Centre Mall (Renovations) | ?m | 2s | LaSalle Investment Management

I wouldn't dismiss the differences despite some apparent similar socioeconomic conditions. What is happening in Winnipeg seems to involve some government initiative that probably wouldn't happen here, because provincially the government here is really not that focused on the city. It is a very different political dynamic there, with only one large city in the province.
The point is that something like the Portage Place redevelopment, if copy-pasted to Edmonton @ City Centre, would work as a beneficial improvement for the area, because of the existing conditions in both cities' downtowns. You pointed out one political difference - yes a big one - but it's the only major difference in this particular case. I wouldn't discount the province aiding in the financing of a similar project here, considering they've already thrown money at increased security measures, but I'm not holding my breath. Still doesn't mean something like that redevelopment couldn't happen in Edmonton, just the specifics of how it comes to fruition may be different.

Frankly, I don't get why you're so against Edmonton looking at what other cities are doing and being inspired by it. Purely unique, made-in-Edmonton solutions that come from nowhere but this region isn't very realistic for everything. Everything references and influences other things; it's hard to make something truly original, and seeking what other cities, like Calgary and Winnipeg, with many similarities in different regards to Edmonton, are doing, isn't a bad idea. They offer realistic ideas that could be tweaked to fit the Edmonton context. But also, there's nothing wrong with being inspired by completely different places either, if warranted. There's things Edmonton could learn from Medellin and Christchurch and Sapporo too.

Last edited:
New stores:
IMG_0818.jpeg

Will the Table Top Cafe be permanent, or will it be just a seasonal pop-up like Just Cozy?

Thanks, @soupcrate - makes me wonder why they keep choosing ECC for a pop-up instead of WEM, Southgate, Kingsway, Londonderry, Bonnie Doon or Westmount.

The name is a bit confusing, but I gather the slight differentiation on the signage means they want to use the mall space just to sell games and keep their other location as a cafe space.

There are other cafe spaces in the mall, so perhaps part of the deal was to do it this way. Also having a cafe could require more work on the space, so perhaps it was just simpler and easiest this way.

I think it's both hilarious and sad that the most exciting topic in this thread is about a seasonal board game store opening. Don't get me wrong, any new retail downtown is a positive and I love to see small businesses take a chance on DT but...man.

Back