News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton City Centre Mall (Renovations) | ?m | 2s | LaSalle Investment Management

I always thought a Simon's downtown would make more sense than having it at Londonderry Mall. Maybe it will make the move and occupy the old Bay space? Or even the Holt Renfrew space. Would do wonders for downtown.
I don't think it really needs to be either or. Londonderry is a nice mall especially after the renovations. However, downtown would have the added advantage of not much competition now that the Bay is gone.

Downtown Edmonton is currently really very underserved for retail stores. I recently went to Montreal and visited the downtown Simons there. I believe they also have one downtown in Calgary too, so it can be done.

I don't think it really needs to be either or. Londonderry is a nice mall especially after the renovations. However, downtown would have the added advantage of not much competition now that the Bay is gone.

Downtown Edmonton is currently really very underserved for retail stores. I recently went to Montreal and visited the downtown Simons there. I believe they also have one downtown in Calgary too, so it can be done.
They would have the only large retail space available so a captive market. The question is would that be a strategic move for the landlord ... maybe its better to have 10 of 5000 sq ft stores versus 1 that is 150,000? After all the Bay was so a huge anchor there the departure decimated the mall. Craig Patterson of Retail Insider might have some views on what will last long term in this unique mall. Craig does give a view in his article here that anchor tenants tend to attract other retailers. https://retail-insider.com/retail-i...owth-in-leasing-and-consumer-spending-report/

I was thinking that it would be nice to have a small hardware store downtown. No lumber yard but a place to grab paint, small tools, fasteners, pest control, etc. A more focused Canadian Tire (without the repair bays and greenhouse) as a anchor tenant would probably do pretty well.

I was thinking that it would be nice to have a small hardware store downtown. No lumber yard but a place to grab paint, small tools, fasteners, pest control, etc. A more focused Canadian Tire (without the repair bays and greenhouse) as a anchor tenant would probably do pretty well.
I can not imagine a hardware store in the very core of the city due to the cost of retail space - but perhaps along 105th or 106th Avenue.

I mean, 105th or 106th ave would be fine too, so long as it's in walking distance of enough of the condos and apartments.

None of this insisting on a hardware store has anything to do with finding a very large cockroach in my unit and having to drive to the west end for roach killer and traps...

Can Tire has moved away from their urban formats.

They did look at Central Edmonton from my understanding, but did not pursue anything.

Can Tire has moved away from their urban formats.

They did look at Central Edmonton from my understanding, but did not pursue anything.

That's a shame, the urban Canadian Tire and Home Depot are super convenient in Vancouver.

Canadian (automotive) Tire in an urban format would do better if they rebranded the urban store as 'Canadian Shoe'.

Reactions: God
Canadian Tire is replacing their existing store in Toronto on Yonge and Church St with two condo towers and a Canadian Tire store on the ground level. So they're definitely not moving away from urban formats but rather only building them where they make sense. Until there is no room for standalone big box in Edmonton's core, there will be no incentive to fuse big box and urban development. Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, and Montreal has the density and population required where it made sense to bring big box to the core population rather than relying on the population to drive to it. Here, Unity Square exists.

Back