News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton City Centre Mall (Renovations) | ?m | 2s | LaSalle Investment Management

Most businesses will be looking for signals before (re)investing in downtown and of course it is surrounded by people (residents, workers, visitors). The infrastructure investments like the central park, & transit have been happening for their part so not terribly worried about that side. Residential construction is happening, just need a lot more of it. We have a decent amount of events and festivals but can always improve (particularly non summer months). Even if there are businesses that exist at Kingsway for example the growth of downtown and surrounding neighborhoods will command their own.

ECC needs some major investment to open it up and attract retailers regardless of how many people are around. How does the Core shopping centre down in Calgary do? Looks like they have opened themselves up to the street a bit, not sure if that's how it's always been.

I’m guessing that businesses are waiting to see more stability on workplace activity. I think a small step forward would be a return of the coffee shops.
Did many coffee shops close shop other than Starbucks? Think credo, Lock stock, and coffee bureau all stayed open. Think the second cups did as well.

Which one's...most of the independents have been operating through the pandemic - Credo, Coffee Bureau, Lock Stock, etc.
Sadly several of the Second Cups closed downtown - not many left, although I think some before the pandemic. In any event, I think think the big chains like Starbucks really missed the boat here by obsessively focusing on short term results.

It may be harder for those chains to get prime spaces later and reestablish themselves. It could end up being good for the independents and places like Blenz, who obviously snapped up a good spot (vacated by Starbucks) when the chance arose.

On a related note, the McDonalds in a prime Commerce Place spot still remains closed. I wonder if that blight will eventually be removed - if so, maybe they can bring in (or back) something with character and more quality like the Daily Planet.

Starbucks remains open in Commerce Place. Their location at Jasper Ave and 101 St is still vacant although I keep hearing rumors of another Blenz opening in that spot.

I did see a leasing opportunity sign on the first floor (and other locations).

Last edited:
Starbucks remains open in Commerce Place. Their location at Jasper Ave and 101 St is still vacant although I keep hearing rumors of another Blenz opening in that spot.
If true, would continue the tradition started by Second Cup (and probably before them) of alternative coffee chains being dominant downtown - not a bad thing at all.

If true, would continue the tradition started by Second Cup (and probably before them) of alternative coffee chains being dominant downtown - not a bad thing at all.
It is ok, but the problems with the Starbucks in Commerce Place are it is tucked away in the middle of the building, there is no exterior signage, not much seating and it is not even on the busier pedway level.

I am sure a lot of people don't even know that it is there, except those that work nearby and it is limited by the hours of the building. The 101 Street location was better and more prominent.

Before Second Cup there was Grabba Jabba and Timothies. However, it would be nice to finally see a local company evolve to get major market share, which given the current weakness of Starbucks and others now might be the opportunity.

That being 'the good news' is laughable at this point.

Praying something is getting closer to reality for that place is desolate and adding to all of the negative stereotypes/perceptions to those who visit, want to invest, study, work or live in the area.

It took a long time - years of bad management from the previous owners (or maybe they just didn't care because they owned a nearby competing mall) and COVID for City Centre to dig itself into a deep hole, so it will take a while to get out of it.

Places like Press'd reopening are good news, once it fills up a back up bit more it will become easier to fill the remaining spots.

This thing rose from the dead once, back in the mid 1990s. I think it may have been in a bit better shape back then but the west side was a similar ghost town at the time after Eatons went bankrupt. Going by memory here but I seem to remember a pretty high vacancy rate back then and a stroll through the west half of the mall being a totally depressing experience. Hopefully it can rise from the dead again almost 30 years later. With an owner who gives a crap and some $s to invest it’s possible.

Back