News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Edmonton Branding and Tourism strategy

I don't think it necessarily has to be the U of A with the architecture school. It can be MacEwan University or another post-secondary educational institution. Or it could be founded by an architect (e.g. Gene Dub, Douglas Cardinal).
A school of architecture at MacEwan would definitely be a feather in that schools hat. I could see them building a new structure directly north of the parkade on 109 or they could buy land one the north side of 105 st and 105 ave. Either of those locations would be fairly visually prominent.

It makes far more sense at the U of A given their planning program as either an undergrad entry route or the fact that it is much more of a post-grad work that is already supported with various infrastructure.

^
A School of Architecture was going to be incorporated within Engineering rather than Planning and it’s my understanding they had gotten as far as having a full curriculum and roll-out plan written before apparently being put on hold yet again. If it stays on hold it will be a tremendous loss for the institution as well as the region.

Brilliant! and the very kind of attitude that one hopes for when looking for Edmonton's better side. I do wonder who Todd had in mind when referring to "feckless morons".

What is “Athletics Alberta?” Some fake representation of a group pretending they represent all athletics in Alberta? Wtf? Apparently that so-called group is going to make a Center of excellence in this proposed Field house.

Is the Provincial Sport Organization. The governing body for all track and fields sports. Every club and official is registered through them and in turn through the national and international bodies.

Every provincial sport body is the local for the national sports body.

Say like cycling Local Clubs then up to Alberta Cycling Association then up to Cycling Canada then up to the UCI. Almost every sport has a provincial body. Most housed at the Percy Page Building up on Groat rd and 118 ave.

There was a center for excellence at Foote Field before.

When the new velodrome is complete I expect both Triathalon and Cycling to open a Centre of excellence here as well.

HQ'd in YEG!? Strange, but according to the Group behind YYC's group behind their "Field House build," Alberta Athletics as surely "promised" to house ALL Track meetings at this yet to be built facility. Obviously the YYC group is full of themselves and only wish......too funny on their end.

Good win for the Oilers tonight. I'm not sure how much you guys follow what the other players say on social media and I apologise if this was already discussed but Marchand recently got into it with some Oilers fans. Now as much as I hate the guy I can't help but feel that his words are echoed by the majority of Canadians out there, especially those that don't live in our province. I personally don't know of anyone from Ontario, Quebec or BC that wants to just come here and visit us; unless you count my family from the GTA of course but that's only because of me. Does it feel that way for you guys too? I mean when have you heard someone that's not from the Prairies say "I hope to visit Edmonton someday"? I've heard people say "I want to see Halifax, Montreal, Quebec City, Vancouver, Toronto etc..." but never Edmonton. Now I understand that we don't have the ocean, we don't have the giant skyscrapers, we don't have the CN tower and arguably, we don't have the downtown that people want to see; but are we at least on our way there? Are we on the right track to becoming "that city" or am I just being too pessimistic over here and just not seeing things right?

Untitled.jpg

Good win for the Oilers tonight. I'm not sure how much you guys follow what the other players say on social media and I apologise if this was already discussed but Marchand recently got into it with some Oilers fans. Now as much as I hate the guy I can't help but feel that his words are echoed by the majority of Canadians out there, especially those that don't live in our province. I personally don't know of anyone from Ontario, Quebec or BC that wants to just come here and visit us; unless you count my family from the GTA of course but that's only because of me. Does it feel that way for you guys too? I mean when have you heard someone that's not from the Prairies say "I hope to visit Edmonton someday"? I've heard people say "I want to see Halifax, Montreal, Quebec City, Vancouver, Toronto etc..." but never Edmonton. Now I understand that we don't have the ocean, we don't have the giant skyscrapers, we don't have the CN tower and arguably, we don't have the downtown that people want to see; but are we at least on our way there? Are we on the right track to becoming "that city" or am I just being too pessimistic over here and just not seeing things right?

Untitled.jpg
He's right.

There was a player poll done a few years ago and Winnipeg and Edmonton were near the top as least desirable places that players want to go and play. That's why the Jets had to overpay to keep someone like Blake Wheeler around, an American.

I feel like Edmonton could actually really benefit from some national advertisement campaigns, not unlike that "Alberta is Calling" campaign from last year, but specifically for Edmonton. It'd be a good chance to showcase the things that the city does well, that are nice here and are not at all in the consciousness of the rest of the country.

A tongue in cheek slogan like "Edmonton: It's better than you thought." would go over well I believe since we know how everyone sees the city anyways, but then we can showcase beautiful parts of town like Whyte and 124, facilities like Muttart, all the recreation opportunities associated with the river valley, or of course the affordability factor. We can whine all day that people look down on Edmonton, but ultimately if we want to change perceptions then we need to work at it.

Last edited:
I feel like Edmonton could actually really benefit from some national advertisement campaigns, not unlike that "Alberta is Calling" campaign from last year, but specifically for Edmonton. It'd be a good chance to showcase the things that the city does well, that are nice here and are not at all in the consciousness of the rest of the country.

A tongue in cheek slogan like "Edmonton: It's better than you thought." would go over well I believe since we know how everyone sees the city anyways, but then we can showcase beautiful parts of town like Whyte and 124, facilities like Muttart, all the recreation opportunities associated with the river valley, or of course the affordability factor. We can whine all day that people look down on Edmonton, but ultimately if we want to change perceptions then we need to work at it.

I'd be in favor of a campaign.
When people move here, they stay here moreso than any other Canadian city - find out why (too long for a slogan but that's one point we need to get across)
Also, being Canada's greenest city (not climate change wise but aesthetic wise), I hope we can capitalize on national park designation and would like to see activation around that in our river valley.

Back