News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Downtown

Wasn't my point. I'm glad there are folks publicly highlighting the issues with our downtown. That being said, there have been a lot of opinion pieces crapping on downtown Edmonton lately and after the second one it's not worth much more than fodder for facebook shares, especially when there isn't much suggestion for improvement.
That particular article was just criticism, not saying it isn't valid, but there was nothing very constructive in it. If you expect the world to be the same or as good, when you pop out of your hole after two years, I think it is unrealistic.

It has been a heck of a struggle for the last two years for downtown businesses, something that some of us who spend time downtown regularly witnessed first hand. It was brutal

It will improve particularly if people come back to support the remaining businesses (and some of the new ones I see signs of starting). I don't think being disappointed and saying you are not coming back is going to help.

It is our downtown and we need to take ownership of it, because it will be what our city image will be defined by others, whether we like it or not. Complaining, retreating to the suburbs and washing your hands of it accomplishes nothing positive.

The Helm has opened in their new new 3 storey, 8200 sq. ft. location on 103 Street. Congrats to Chad and the team!

Helm 103st/Encore = wow!

That particular article was just criticism, not saying it isn't valid, but there was nothing very constructive in it. If you expect the world to be the same or as good, when you pop out of your hole after two years, I think it is unrealistic.

It has been a heck of a struggle for the last two years for downtown businesses, something that some of us who spend time downtown regularly witnessed first hand. It was brutal

It will improve particularly if people come back to support the remaining businesses (and some of the new ones I see signs of starting). I don't think being disappointed and saying you are not coming back is going to help.

It is our downtown and we need to take ownership of it, because it will be what our city image will be defined by others, whether we like it or not. Complaining, retreating to the suburbs and washing your hands of it accomplishes nothing positive.
Small correction. It was a letter to the editor, not an article. So it was one citizen's point of view, not a balanced telling of a story.

I guess we don't plant/beatify the LRT planters along our mainstreet Jasper Avenue anymore???

Serious folks. WTF

Last edited:
I guess we don't plant/beatify the LRT planters along our mainstream Jasper Avenue anymore???

Serious folks. WTF
and who exactly said that IanO?

because i haven't seen that here or elsewhere.

as for the do it or not, i'm more concerned with doing it so that it's designed and maintained so it looks like it's planned for 10 years after the warranties expire, not for what they look like the day they're completed.

i would challenge you post a single picture of lrt plantings and landscaping or median anywhere that looks half decent a half dozen years later. 99th avenue on the south side is disgraceful, as is much of gateway boulevard and 111 avenue and 111 street and mayfield road and fort road...

this discussion isn't about not doing things, it's about getting what we're paying for and what we should be able to enjoy and show off.

While I love projects such as this, there are so many other foundational issues/projects/spaces that need attention over these. I can appreciate that they are not mutually exclusive and funding sometimes comes along that you just take/spend and move on, but if you can't get the fundamentals right what's the point?

Jasper Avenue from 100-109 looks horrible, 100st from Jasper to 104ave not much better.

'Don't mind the mess as you walk by it to a mural in an alley behind said mess'

---

Building social space in the nooks and crannies of the inner city
By Brett McKay

Edmonton’s back alley transformation projects could create much-needed social space in the downtown core, says an urban planner.

“The focus has been on the main avenues, but I think it’s high time now to look at what I call the nooks and crannies, like alleyways and laneways and public spaces that are available to be activated,” said Sandeep Agrawal, director of the University of Alberta’s School of Urban and Regional Planning.

Two alleys are expected to be transformed into public spaces this summer, thanks to a $400,000 initiative funded by the federal government, the City of Edmonton, and the Edmonton Downtown Business Association. Full details of the makeovers for spaces behind Rice Howard Way and the alley between 103 Street and 104 Street have yet to be revealed, but they will include murals and other art projects that are still in the proposal phase, the business association said.

While I love projects such as this, there are so many other foundational issues/projects/spaces that need attention over these. I can appreciate that they are not mutually exclusive and funding sometimes comes along that you just take/spend and move on, but if you can't get the fundamentals right what's the point?

Jasper Avenue from 100-109 looks horrible, 100st from Jasper to 104ave not much better.

'Don't mind the mess as you walk by it to a mural in an alley behind said mess'

---

Building social space in the nooks and crannies of the inner city
By Brett McKay

Edmonton’s back alley transformation projects could create much-needed social space in the downtown core, says an urban planner.

“The focus has been on the main avenues, but I think it’s high time now to look at what I call the nooks and crannies, like alleyways and laneways and public spaces that are available to be activated,” said Sandeep Agrawal, director of the University of Alberta’s School of Urban and Regional Planning.

Two alleys are expected to be transformed into public spaces this summer, thanks to a $400,000 initiative funded by the federal government, the City of Edmonton, and the Edmonton Downtown Business Association. Full details of the makeovers for spaces behind Rice Howard Way and the alley between 103 Street and 104 Street have yet to be revealed, but they will include murals and other art projects that are still in the proposal phase, the business association said.

I think it came down to funding from the Feds that likely HAD to be used for some sort of alley initiative or public art. I wonder what 400k would do to spruce up the Jasper Ave streetscape...

I think it came down to funding from the Feds that likely HAD to be used for some sort of alley initiative or public art. I wonder what 400k would do to spruce up the Jasper Ave streetscape...
if we still had all the municipal monies we spent because we "had to", i wonder how close we would be to having a balanced budget and able to spend money on those things we choose to prioritize.

come to think of it, maybe all three levels of government would be closer to balanced budgets if they didn't allow other levels to "force them" into matched spending. it's like bad ward politics writ large.

Back