7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Downtown

A few things need to happen:

-An operational LRT
-A CityMarket grocery open
-A massive new entertainment establishment open in ICE
-Summer festivals need to become that essential boost from now until fall.

Shopping, not a lot, but activity, vibrancy, normalized use and an overall improved feeling - yes.

Sadly, Downtown Edmonton retail offerings are less than the Main Street in Canmore.

Sure... and it was clear that they didn't do much planning in advance, but it highlights that Downtown Edmonton is not somewhere you can just go and wander, explore and discover things right now. You should not have to plan much and just show up to a safe, active and an area with diverse offerings.

Much work to do.

Reference ID:Job No 439324506-002
Description:Alteration of (an) existing building(s), Interior Alteration
Plan NB Blk 5 Lots 131-132
Applicant:J.H.PEPIN CONSULTING LTD
Create Date:7/4/2022 10:17:48 AM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN

So, they haven't gone downtown for a few years and expected it to be the same as the last time they were there? Really?

Lets just think for a moment - are the stores without customers for over two years (while most people worked at home and most downtown events were cancelled) some how supposed to magically stay open?

Expecting people to just lower their standards instead of expecting the city to actually put in the work to improve things seems like a really counterproductive attitude to have.
Wasn't my point. I'm glad there are folks publicly highlighting the issues with our downtown. That being said, there have been a lot of opinion pieces crapping on downtown Edmonton lately and after the second one it's not worth much more than fodder for facebook shares, especially when there isn't much suggestion for improvement.

A few things need to happen:

-An operational LRT
-A CityMarket grocery open
-A massive new entertainment establishment open in ICE
-Summer festivals need to become that essential boost from now until fall.
What do you mean by "massive" ... you already know what has been announced for ICE today. What is the occupancy that you think makes a place massive?

Wasn't my point. I'm glad there are folks publicly highlighting the issues with our downtown. That being said, there have been a lot of opinion pieces crapping on downtown Edmonton lately and after the second one it's not worth much more than fodder for facebook shares, especially when there isn't much suggestion for improvement.
I dunno, I appreciate the media and the public keeping up the pressure personally.

The Helm has opened in their new new 3 storey, 8200 sq. ft. location on 103 Street. Congrats to Chad and the team!

Back