News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

Rocks were thrown at me when I suggested that for Ice District empty space. In any event it will be a draw where ever it is located in the "north side" when Ikea opens one of these. North side unless some retailer convinces them to open downtown.

This isn't really a store folks, it's a design centre.

What we were chatting about was something larger and not even being contemplated here or most places due to the high costs/sqft and need for huge densities to make it viable.

This isn't really a store folks, it's a design centre.

What we were chatting about was something larger and not even being contemplated here or most places due to the high costs/sqft and need for huge densities to make it viable.
Sure, it needs density to work... Because the 'burbs are über-dense... But let's not dwell into this anymore.

It would be great if ECC or Ice District would bring in a larger retailer to act as a catalyst with a sweet lease deal. Would that not be a good business strategy? I mean what if a below market longer term lease deal had been negotiated for Sporting Life - wouldn't that help fill up additional vacant commercial space?

I'm still hoping for a Uniqlo or relocated Simons from Londonderry.

Either would immediately restore clothing options.

I don't think Simons is relocating from Londonderry unless they decide to pull out. This department store is doing relatively well at Londonderry from what I've seen. A 3rd Simons location would be ideal for downtown, specifically in the HBC space at ECC.

I really like the Londonderry store and it seems to be doing well. I doubt they would close it, but I think they would be smart to get a space downtown now.

They could probably find at least one landlord willing to give them a fairly good deal on a reasonably good location. I think at this point there is a choice of several good spots.

Also, there really is no competition downtown for something like this now. I think they could do well there too.

Reference ID:Job No 408773769-002
Description:To change the use of a Convenience Retail Store and Restaurant, to a Professional, Financial, and Office Support Service, and Indoor Participant Recreation Service , and construct interior alterations (main floor, First and Jasper Building).
Plan F Lots 1-5
Applicant:AVISON YOUNG PROJECT MANAGEMENT SERVICES, LP
Create Date:9/17/2021 11:47:36 AM

I'm still hoping for a Uniqlo or relocated Simons from Londonderry.

Either would immediately restore clothing options.
They are not remotely similar. But one of each store downtown would be fantastic. That would start the momentum. Too bad Retail Advisor does not have a second business as a promoter to land companies in malls and mixed use buildings. I think he would do well as an influencer.

Retail Insider? Oh, you mean the folks who report on things after news breaks and have a very negative slant towards our Downtown?

How does everyone feel about our downtown?? I've been living in Edmonton for almost 9 years now and I can almost count on my fingers how many times I've been to the city's core. There's just nothing there that appeals to me but then again I'm probably not the type of a person that's wanted in our downtown anyway. I mean I got the money but I'm in my mid 30s and my fashion is Walmart and Costco. It also doesn't help that I've worked inside a prison for 6 years. Since leaving the profession it's been really tough going anywhere without over-analysing everyone I see on the streets. Maybe I'm just visiting the wrong parts too, my wife tells me that all the time (wink, wink).

What do you like to experience or eat or take-in for entertainment? Do you like the arts? Do you like festivals, events, movies? What about watering holes or just taking things in as they pass by?

Back