News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

Our News Release event occurred yesterday at the Pendennis -- attached is the Edmonton Journal article -- this comes to Edmonton March 20th, 2022. There are a few miscues in the article -- Douglas Cardinal and Lewis Cardinal both are founding members of RoadShowz, Inc., a company that I established in SoCal two years back -- they are not as the Journal suggests "brought on board as consultants" -- they along with a total of 20 investors and active participants are shareholders in the company. We will be taking over the entire space of both the Pendennis and the Brighton Block (as soon as final negotiations are inked). Lots of infrastructure in the works...

Breakfast sandwich at Rosewood yesterday was spot on.
DSC00803.JPG

How does everyone feel about our downtown?? I've been living in Edmonton for almost 9 years now and I can almost count on my fingers how many times I've been to the city's core. There's just nothing there that appeals to me but then again I'm probably not the type of a person that's wanted in our downtown anyway. I mean I got the money but I'm in my mid 30s and my fashion is Walmart and Costco. It also doesn't help that I've worked inside a prison for 6 years. Since leaving the profession it's been really tough going anywhere without over-analysing everyone I see on the streets. Maybe I'm just visiting the wrong parts too, my wife tells me that all the time (wink, wink).
Personally, I just love biking and walking around the core with my friends. We are mid to late twenties. We don't party much, but enjoy Saturday morning coffees and weeknight walks. I find just seeing downtown more interesting than walking elsewhere. I've never shopped DT, mostly do that online. I got to events occasionally and usually try to go before or after to spots DT.

For me, I just really enjoy dense, urban cores. So I love DT. Wish it was more built out, but its fun being somewhere as it develops. Anyone can move to DT Vancouver and enjoy it. But seeing the early years of edmonton finally urbanizing is sweet. Hoping to move DT with my family in the next 5ish years. Bought an infill central West though for now as financially that made a lot more sense.

Oh, and some great breweries. Odd company, irrational, campio.

Does anyone have any information in regards to the Crash Hotel on 103 street? I have been hearing that it has been converted to a temporary housing shelter for 2 years. I can't find anything on the COE website or online anywhere...

Does anyone have any information in regards to the Crash Hotel on 103 street? I have been hearing that it has been converted to a temporary housing shelter for 2 years. I can't find anything on the COE website or online anywhere...
It's a 'COVID isolation hotel' for shelter users.

Page 16 is interesting: the area the study selected for Edmonton is twice as large as that of Calgary. Why? Calgary shows a higher percentage of jobs in its core which is (1) half the area size of Edmonton but (2) 20% less populated with residents, and (3) has 30% more jobs (no surprise). On the other hand if we reduce the size of Edmontons core the population will be much less, the jobs will likely be the same but the Jobs-to-pop ratio will increase. How would you like to spin your study? Also of note Edmonton did not contribute a dime to this study but YYZ YVR YYC and YOW did.

Downtown Calgary: Area: 6km2
Population: 44,991
Jobs: 137,030
Jobs-to-pop ratio: 3.05 as a % of the Calgary CMA

Downtown Edmonton Area: 12km2
Population: 55,997
Jobs: 92,735
Jobs-to-pop ratio: 1.66 as a % of the Edmonton CMA

YEG was involved, contributed in a variety of ways and was asked for some serious coin which it declined to provide due to competing priorities at the time.

I am trying to find out more. it is being operated by Boyle Street as a COVID recovery space. For now because folks staying there for a temporary period of time, it does not require a change of use. There have already been some discussions with businesses and City about disorder and cleanliness around the site which Boyle is trying to address. They do have onsite security.

I hope to know more in the next week or so what the long term plans are. For now it seems temporary needs during the pandemic.

I am trying to find out more. it is being operated by Boyle Street as a COVID recovery space. For now because folks staying there for a temporary period of time, it does not require a change of use. There have already been some discussions with businesses and City about disorder and cleanliness around the site which Boyle is trying to address. They do have onsite security.

I hope to know more in the next week or so what the long term plans are. For now it seems temporary needs during the pandemic.
Thanks for the info. This was the scene I saw while walking into the ICE District yesterday morning, just moments after walking past crash hotel and being verbally accosted the whole time. There has been a huge amount of investment in this area over the last few years between the ICE District, new investors of Edmonton City Center, Ultima Tower, Encore Tower, and the extensive interior/exterior renovation of the boardwalk building. If this is a temporary thing, sure. If this is a long term/2 year plan for housing homeless, we need to do better.

Attachments

• IMG_9253.jpg
    IMG_9253.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 59

Back