News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.9K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

A question for those who may know:

How come they don't go to flashing yellows/reds for the intersection on non-main roads downtown after business hours or past like, 7 pm?

The warehouse district of downtown especially would be nice to have this. You can get stuck waiting at some surprisingly long red lights while the streets are completely dead. It's annoying enough as a driver, but as a pedestrian it really sucks (and in the winter, it's pure misery). Mostly just makes you end up jaywalking.
Just to be a Karen and update my annoyance with this:

This past Friday evening, around 7 PM, I was in my car driving SB on 108th st. On 102 ave, I got caught at a red. I counted, full 60 second wait. Not a single vehicle drove down 102 ave while I was waiting. Two pedestrians jaywalked across 102 after being pretty visibility annoyed by waiting and that was about it for activity.

Of course, during COVID may be a bad time to gauge downtown traffic on a Friday evening, but this could have been any evening and it's just so asinine IMO. Imagine being a law abiding pedestrian walking through downtown in the evening and you're expected to stand there for 60 seconds when it's -20 on an entirely dead street. Brutal

There is probably some degree of irony in there that it was decided those warehouse district intersections weren't busy enough to warrant investment into any sort of sensors/tech.

Precisely though why just having them to go a flashing yellows after hours would be an easy solution to great improve mobility--especially for pedestrians. Look both ways, and cross. It would also lessen cars speeding through if they have to yield every intersection.

Red Star's first ever patio!
E213mOlVcAAaFIc.jpg

^

Sooo... I’m still trying to decide which exception to the rules the rest of us continue to follow that this represents.

Outdoor patio dining which is limited to four family members from the same household?

An outdoor gathering limited to 10 people socially distanced with masks?

I suppose I could accept the official explanation that "The premier, with a few ministers and staff members, held a working dinner last night.” With lots of wine and at least one bottle of whiskey. Because if that’s how work is done by this government, it’s no wonder they make so many stupid decisions.

Or maybe the real reason was just a need to get in lots practice beforehand on how to carry on at the Calgary Stampede (with apologies to the Calgary Stampede) while the rest of us commoners continue to do the heavy lifting so there will be a Calgary Stampede for them to flip pancakes at. Because flipping pancakes is the same as flipping the bird isn’t it?

Or maybe it’s simpler than any of those things after all. Maybe it’s just a tough life after all but someone has to live it. Someone other than the rest of us.

It has become hard to quantify the contempt the UCP has for its own people it governs. Woof.

Good to see this space being reactivated as this again.

Reference ID: Job No 397870116-002
Description: To install a Fascia On-Premises Sign (FIRST STEP DAYCARE)
Plan B2 Blk 8 Lots 130-132
Applicant: MADINA PRINTING
Create Date: 5/31/2021 11:25:03 AM
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

Back