7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Downtown

^^

unfortunately it began long before “a couple of years prior to covid”. :(

there is more than one root cause but one of them that doesn’t get enough attention is edmonton’s penchant for new and shiny things and a seeming dislike for maintenance and repairs (maybe because that leads to a need for more new and shiny things???).

whether it’s streets and sidewalks or street trees and parks or bridges and pools, there seems to be a missing sense of pride/presence in edmonton in general and downtown in particular.

if we treat our downtown streets and sidewalks as not much more than storage spaces for pylons and barriers and temporary signs (whether they're in use or not), why we would expect people to treat them with any more respect than any other temporary neglected environment?

Yes, it is all that and more. At times in less optimistic moments, I have thought disposable city, disposable people. Politicians in general love announcing shiny new things, that is not unique to Edmonton. Also, we are a city that has grown a lot over the years and we tend to toss away or neglect the old things that no longer fit their original purpose, instead of reusing them for something else. We are not always very imaginative that way. I think that is changing a bit now, tough times sometimes lead people to be more creative and less wasteful, but it can still be one step forward, one step back.

If anyone from the city government reads this, do please take to heart the part about noticing when older things start falling into disrepair, maintaining them and fixing them before its too late, instead of using it as an excuse to tear down or replace something that could be quite adequate and nice with some proper maintenance.

Retail is in for a rough ride everywhere. Focus on starting locally headquartered chains that offer something compelling. Future of downtowns everywhere will be restaurant and entertainment.

Downtown is headed in the right direction. Just keep focusing on doing the basics right. The downtown has rapidly changed even in the last 5 years with new developments.

Pictures? Guys cmon it isn't 2008 anymore... post a Tik Tok of you doing a fancy dance in front of the Lights at the Leg with "What's Poppin'?" by Jack Harlow playing or it didn't happen...

@Daveography don't know about that -- if the Hat became Black Ship I could imagine a pirate as a doorman and a ground floor hospitality unit called the skull-and-bones and a lot of aaargh going around -- could be the diversionist-alternist-undergroundist apartment lifestyle that would appeal to wenches, one-eyed cockamamiests, plunderers and dark humorists (I could fit right in).

*Die Pie is closing*

That's a real shame that is.

They had good food for those of us who are omnivores, but more importantly provided variety and options to those with more particular dietary requirements and have a great spot over on 97st.

IMG_0843.jpeg

Mondo pizza moved into the old Die Pie location

Seriously, what the heck is going on these days with people breaking windows/doors etc.

I know that there are far fewer eyes on the street, but the amount of these is really disturbing.

ETS at Central and Bay are smashed, repaired, smashed, repaired nearly twice a week it seems.

Walking around yesterday I saw I must have counted a dozen in 5-6 blocks.

Back