7.5K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 8.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.7K     0 

Downtown Real Estate

My reply:

Dearest Mr. Gunter,

You bring up valid points of concern that all #Downtowns are facing these days; something that we have witnessed here before, be it the post-war flight to the burbs or the energy chaos of the early 80s.

'is it permanent?', Was it then? Will it be now? No.

Will it be impactful & necessitate change? Yes.

We have but to look to inspiring documents such as our new #cityplan, to see that it isn't just about the Downtown, but about a more thoughtful & inclusive approach to #citybuilding & a renewed emphasis on accessibility, lifestyle & the development/nurturing of new industries & employment opportunities across, yes across our fair city.
(https://lnkd.in/g6nqk6X)

I reckon that the only keister that needs addressing is our collective one & how we choose to address this challenge before us, versus remaining sitting on ours while crafting defeatist pieces that are as stagnant & tired as your fax machine.

We are intrepid; we (will) carry on.

Sincerely,

Downtown

My money (a couple of pfennigs) is on this order of development for the current year:
Open Sky (121 St. is heading towards a rebirth)
Stationlands (the foundation is already there and the Ice District beckons)
The Hudson (Westrich has its mojo pumping)
Parkview Tower (better bet than Edmonton Motors development)
I expect there to also be some surprises later in the year.

Off-topic, but it frustrates me so much that so many complainy old white dudes like Gunter and Staples still have secure newspaper jobs while so many young people trying to make their way in journalism struggle to get a foothold in the industry.

Off-topic, but it frustrates me so much that so many complainy old white dudes like Gunter and Staples still have secure newspaper jobs while so many young people trying to make their way in journalism struggle to get a foothold in the industry.
Honestly at this rate I could write a better journalistic article while half asleep than those two, especially Staples and his "hot takes".

Agreed--but keep in mind who still reads the paper. Alberta has a lot of diverse young folks, but also a lot of old conservative curmudgeons. Have to cater to your audience. They don't want to hear about how progress, they want to read confirmation about how change sucks.

It's why I find Edmonton also has some of the worst sports jounros in guys like Staples, Jones, Matheson (who I like as a person, but is just out to lunch on sports nowadays), but then has some of the best amateur sports bloggers in Lowetide, OilersNation, Coppernblue, mc79hockey (albeit now defunct and was actually by a lawyer from Ontario, but was all about the Oilers).

@nv96 Should they cater to their audience, or should they try to expand their audience?
There appears neither appetite nor resolve to do the latter, unfortunately,.

Edmonton newsprint is a monopoly controlled by an out-of-Province entity. "Mismanaged" and "what, me care?" attitude seems pervasive. On the flip side of that coin, print media revenue is plummeting like an earth-bound asteroid -- media mavens are in a quandary. The "new media" as pervasive as it is in the new society and as reckless and "fact"-wanting as it is too, has a firm grip on the (mis)information age that we collectively reside in (occasionally, you can get a whiff of that fact elasticity even here on our beloved Skyrise Cities' platform -- not often, @Daveography does a great job at calling out fouls)

Don't quote me on that just yet, but I heard from a couple of Realtors, today, that the old Planet Organic location in Oliver was leased to Sobeys and will be a FreshCo (their discount brand), opening this summer.

When I mentioned that the location is far from ideal for a discount brand, given the residents profile, they both said that they're looking into opening a new Sobeys in Downtown, so they don't want to have two stores of the same brand so close to each other.

^^ That would be great if it happens. ^ Oliver location would make a great addition, sounds like it could be a potential 3rd location??? I'm just basing that assumption on the article below. 🤞
I wasn't familiar with the FreshCo brand, obviously very similar to our No Frills brand (I frequent the Old Strath location & think it's great).
Currently, no FreshCo stores operating in Alberta. I think this one will be the first. Then I came across this older article-
The two new Edmonton locations are the only FreshCo stores announced for Alberta to date.

Last edited:
^^^ That would be great if it happens. ^^ Oliver location would make a great addition, sounds like it could be a potential 3rd location??? I'm just basing that assumption on the article below. 🤞
I wasn't familiar with the FreshCo brand, obviously very similar to our No Frills brand (I frequent the Old Strath location & think it's great).
Currently, no FreshCo stores operating in Alberta. I think this one will be the first. Then I came across this older article-
The two new Edmonton locations are the only FreshCo stores announced for Alberta to date.
The For Lease signs have been removed, the property is no longer listed on JLL's website and their realtor said that they no longer have any retail properties in the Downtown area, so I'm assuming that it's a done deal.

Hey... Don't ask me how I know this but soon we should know exactly which 10 projects are going to be built in downtown this year with the tax relief from city council.

Back