News   Apr 03, 2020
 8K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

Cycling and Active Transportation in Edmonton

Fort Road/Manning Drive MUP construction is underway from 129 Ave to about the Dodge dealership with sidewalk and curb forms being installed. North to 137 Ave is marked for utilities. Nothing to 144 Ave, then it seems that they have some material to start the 144 Ave to 153 Ave portion.

It also seems like the Hairsine neighbourhood renewal is adding up to 3 km of MUP along 36 St, 139 Ave, 137 Ave, and Victoria Trail. The latter two streets already have MUPs on opposite sides, but 137 Ave on the south side in particular is littered with vehicle access points combined with drivers who don't care if they're blocking the MUP or treating the stop sign like a yield sign. 137 Ave north will have one vehicle access point that's not very busy.

Is the driving lane really tight for vehicles like people are posting?
Not at all on Hermitage. 40th St they could fix, school buses were barely fitting through the pylons.

Fort Road/Manning Drive MUP construction is underway from 129 Ave to about the Dodge dealership with sidewalk and curb forms being installed. North to 137 Ave is marked for utilities. Nothing to 144 Ave, then it seems that they have some material to start the 144 Ave to 153 Ave portion.

Regarding this MUP along Fort Road/Manning Drive, which is one of 10 routes (nearly 20km) announced as part of the city's 2024 active transportation infrastructure projects, it won't be finished for two years. The city said it will be 'substantially complete' in fall 2025.

Some of the other 2024 projects along 153 Ave and also 66 Street have not started construction yet and they also won't be completed until 2025.

When the last block of the 102 Ave project between 136-139 Streets is completed within the next month or so, that will bring the total amount of infrastructure completed in 2024 to about 1km so far (not counting neighbourhood renewal projects). But most of the 23 Ave project should be completed before the end of 2024, with some still left for 2025. That will bring the total of infrastructure completed to about 5km of the nearly 20km identified as part of 2024.

With even more routes planned for next year compared to 2024, I wonder how well the city will be able to manage it.

Last edited:
It looks like the 23 Ave MUP between 111 and 119St will probably be paved next week at some point. Most of the old sidewalks have been dug up now. Also, color me a bit impressed that they blocked off a whole driving lane between 119 and 118 St for a proper walking detour.

It looks like the 23 Ave MUP between 111 and 119St will probably be paved next week at some point. Most of the old sidewalks have been dug up now. Also, color me a bit impressed that they blocked off a whole driving lane between 119 and 118 St for a proper walking detour.

Here is a pic of the 66st sidewalk (east side) between 153 and 137 Avenues that will be converted into a MUP - but not until 2025 now. I wonder if they will have people walk down the alley while this work goes on. The west side of 66st doesn't even have a sidewalk.

I certainly hope when they make a MUP here they expand out towards the alley as opposed to the other side so those trees aren't disturbed.

20240831_143132.jpg

Here is a pic of the 66st sidewalk (east side) between 153 and 137 Avenues that will be converted into a MUP - but not until 2025 now.
Where did you hear about the timelines being officially delayed? The project page is frustratingly out of date, and the latest quarterly update only says that the 2024 routes have either begun construction, or will begin this fall. Is there a place to see more detailed info?

Where did you hear about the timelines being officially delayed? The project page is frustratingly out of date, and the latest quarterly update only says that the 2024 routes have either begun construction, or will begin this fall. Is there a place to see more detailed info?

I contacted the city for update and was provided the info (thanks City of Edmonton!).
I also rode my bike to most of the routes last weekend to see progress (or lack thereof on some), which then prompted the email.

Last edited:
Here was almost finished route along 106st by NAIT.

20240830_165524.jpg

Here is 153 Ave route between 82 St and Greisbach Rd - hasn't started construction.

20240831_140802.jpg
20240831_140847.jpg

Here is 102 Ave between 138-139 streets - it hadn't started yet but may be now. 136-138st were well underway.

20240901_124551.jpg

As a bonus, here's fountain in Glenora - it would look good in Warehouse Park, haha

20240901_125129.jpg

Last edited:
I scooted along Ada Boulevard today. It was my first time up there since the renewal work was completed.

It was very nice. 👍

Also, the new way-finding signs throughout the river valley, Mill Creek ravine, and along the bike lanes are a very welcome addition. 👍

Edmonton is definitely heading in a positive direction with regard to the active transportation. Hoping the work on all the new bike lanes really ramps up next year.

I scooted along Ada Boulevard today. It was my first time up there since the renewal work was completed.

It was very nice. 👍

Also, the new way-finding signs throughout the river valley, Mill Creek ravine, and along the bike lanes are a very welcome addition. 👍

Edmonton is definitely heading in a positive direction with regard to the active transportation. Hoping the work on all the new bike lanes really ramps up next year.
The neigbourhood renewal work through McCauley should be great when it's finished too.

I also like the space they've provided in Clareview along Hermitage Rd and 40st. Those portable concrete dividers allows for quick active transportation lanes using existing overbuilt roadways.

It was very nice. 👍

The City has been really nailing it with the neighbourhood renewal program. The Ada renewal with the addition of the MUP on the southside and slimmer road way is such an unbelievable improvement for pedestrians, dog walkers, cyclists, and home owners, plus it further reduces vehicle speeds. Massive net positive. Our planning dept has really brought themselves into the future this past decade.

The City has been really nailing it with the neighbourhood renewal program. The Ada renewal with the addition of the MUP on the southside and slimmer road way is such an unbelievable improvement for pedestrians, dog walkers, cyclists, and home owners, plus it further reduces vehicle speeds. Massive net positive. Our planning dept has really brought themselves into the future this past decade.
I'm looking forward to the program starting to come to some of the suburbs built circa 1970s-80s, but suspect we'll probably hear a lot more complaints from those residents (like that one article from the Castle Downs area earlier this year).

Didn't get a good pic of it, but looks like this section will be at least getting a sidewalk if not a Shared-Use Path. Construction has begun. Unsure which department of the city is responsible for this work. Will edit in a picture when I get the chance.

Also I'm wondering if there's a solution for crossing the 61st ave at 111th st on the west crosswalk. You are given a short window (5seconds maybe) to start crossing the street before cars are given a full green light to turn left. I've had some sketchy incidences there. I 311'd it but never heard back
Screen Shot 2024-09-09 at 9.53.44 AM.png

178st missing link update:

TLDR: 2027 arterial renewal for 178st will fix missing link from 87ave to 95ave.

My only fear is if 178st renewal gets delayed due to budget or a desire to reduce construction with LRT in that area, plus 95ave renewal, belmead renewal, and 163st bike lanes added.

ADF41919-A7D5-43EC-AEDA-37A38C55F5E4.jpeg

178st missing link update:

TLDR: 2027 arterial renewal for 178st will fix missing link from 87ave to 95ave.

My only fear is if 178st renewal gets delayed due to budget or a desire to reduce construction with LRT in that area, plus 95ave renewal, belmead renewal, and 163st bike lanes added.

View attachment 595188
Definitely a needed missing link, especially in that particular spot there is a ton of cross traffic coming from the mall, I would not feel safe biking on that stretch of road.

Also, I didn't even realize that most of 178st had an MUP, it's not shown on Google maps!

1725988719342.png

I have tried to contact Google in the past to update this in another location, they don't seem to respond. I wonder if the city would have some more sway with them?

Maybe you should reply to that email and let them know!

Back