News   Apr 03, 2020
 8K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

Cycling and Active Transportation in Edmonton

Probably no different from the other protected bike lanes in the city. The buffer might even help to act as snow storage.

Oh I just noticed they put the slip lanes in eastbound Hermitage Rd at 50 St and Victoria Trail, although barrier installation is currently short of 40 St. The slip lane is a tiny bit short of the start of the bike lane.

IMG_7631.jpeg

Probably no different from the other protected bike lanes in the city. The buffer might even help to act as snow storage.

Oh I just noticed they put the slip lanes in eastbound Hermitage Rd at 50 St and Victoria Trail, although barrier installation is currently short of 40 St. The slip lane is a tiny bit short of the start of the bike lane.

View attachment 585714

A challenge with snow storage acting as a buffer is when it starts to melt during the day and flows to the curb and then melts again at night creating icy patches that can be dangerous for cyclists and others.
This is an extreme example, but icy patches is very common as a result of the snow pile up. Meanwhile the roadway is bone dry. Again, not looking after our most vulnerable.

Screenshot_20240804_082019.jpg

A challenge with snow storage acting as a buffer is when it starts to melt during the day and flows to the curb and then melts again at night creating icy patches that can be dangerous for cyclists and others.
This is an extreme example, but icy patches is very common as a result of the snow pile up. Meanwhile the roadway is bone dry. Again, not looking after our most vulnerable.

View attachment 585719
This and similar such ice melt and freeze issues are why I've really come to prefer bike lanes that are level with the sidewalk/above the road surface.

Great points, didn't think about it. I mean I noticed it, I've personally bailed on what was the smoothest ice ever, but figured that was just the way of life around here. Smarter design. So we determined we like buffer zones but it's not without its drawbacks. Raised bike lanes like on 119 Ave but the cost associated. I wonder if that bike lane would be in much better shape if it were on the south side of the road? I'd say 311 but response time, if they respond at all, is a crapshoot.

This and similar such ice melt and freeze issues are why I've really come to prefer bike lanes that are level with the sidewalk/above the road surface.

Getting the active transportation network expanded further, faster is a priority with the $100M which means temp infrastructure in several areas and I'm fine with that but when it comes to the neighbourhood renewals, I would like the city to look at the raised lanes moving forward.

View attachment 585719

My aesthetic stomach just churned. 🤢

Yes because what Hermitage needs is a road the size of Jasper ave lol

One good thing with the expansion of scooters and e-bikes throughout the city is that it'll highlight that these areas need proper active transportation infrastructure.

Screenshot_20240818_172932_Samsung Internet.jpg

Was at Twice Cream parlor yesterday along 127 st bike lane in westmount and while enjoying my salted caramel ice cream, two interesting groups dropped by.

A couple in their early 70s and then shortly after a young family of 5 with 3 kids under 10 - all of them on bikes.

The husband of the older couple has Parkinsons but rides his bike (same model as the one pictured above) as much as he can as the physical activity is important to slowing the progression of the illness, his wife said, and it's great for his mental health and independence. She said the bike lanes are a game changer for them.

It was also cool to see the family of five travelling by bike for a family outing. 127 st bike lane had a lot of young families on it - some youngsters in carriers and others on their bikes.

Was enjoyable to be there.

Coun. Paquette taking some heat for this new road allocation along Hermitage Rd in Clareview.

Separated pedestrian space. Seperated/dedicated bike lane. Space for vehicle parking. Driving lane. Drivers not happy though. Giving up/sharing any space for some drivers is like road space has been stolen from them.

Screenshot_20240826_215513_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

Back