News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.1K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.3K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Capital Line LRT

This is some nice news, given all the flak that transit receives regarding safety. This also serves as proof that we need more transit peace officers instead of powerless security guards.

Then we'll just need to get beat cops back to patrolling our streets!

I’ve noticed pedestrian lights at LRT crossings (e.g. 125 Avenue by 66 Street). I wonder if lights will be added at 95 Street, 92 Street, 112 Avenue and other streets with the tracks.
95 St, 92 St, 112 Ave, 82 St and 115 Ave were all upgraded in 2020. 129 Ave is slated for 2022. 61 Ave has also been done. If the money is there, the intention it to install automatic gates at all South LRT pedestrian crossings that don't have them already, replacing the manual push gates.

Last edited:
My renaming of LRT stations on a map from 2010

edmonton-map-metro-1.png

Coliseum should be changed to Northlands due to the old arena being closed and ready to be demolished, plus the new name honors the 142 year legacy of the Northlands organization.

MacEwan should be changed to ICE District. There is already a MacEwan stop planned for the Valley Line LRT so having 2 MacEwan stops will be confusing. And who knows how long the name Rogers Place will exist for the new arena?

Coliseum should be changed to Northlands due to the old arena being closed and ready to be demolished, plus the new name honors the 142 year legacy of the Northlands organization.

MacEwan should be changed to ICE District. There is already a MacEwan stop planned for the Valley Line LRT so having 2 MacEwan stops will be confusing. And who knows how long the name Rogers Place will exist for the new arena?
Very good points.

Very good points.
Technically, still a Coliseum there although it is closed and has been for several years, so yeah probably time for a new name very soon. Northlands would be a good choice as it reflects the history. Hopefully whatever is developed there also includes this name prominently, like Blatchford picks up on the history of the area being developed.

In fairness, Coliseum worked for years, particularly when the Coliseum changed names a few times, but I suppose this illustrates that a good name at one time is not necessarily good forever.

Thinking about this further, the LRT stop should have been named Northlands from the very beginning. After all, the LRT stop provided services not just for the old arena but also to the Northlands exhibition grounds, the Expo Centre and the horse racing track.

The ARP for that area will see the existing Coliseum station moved north, and a new station added between Stadium and Coliseum. I think the new station should be named Northlands (it will end up being closer to the Expo centre) and the moved station could be Parkdale/Montrose.

Jarek Karpiejuk
• 1st
Director, LRT Infrastructure Projects at City of Edmonton
12m • 12 minutes ago

I am pleased to inform you that the City of Edmonton announced its decision to use a Design and Build delivery method for the Capital Line South LRT Extension. Stay tuned to hear more news soon!

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 10.33.27 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 10.33.33 AM.png

The ARP for that area will see the existing Coliseum station moved north, and a new station added between Stadium and Coliseum. I think the new station should be named Northlands (it will end up being closer to the Expo centre) and the moved station could be Parkdale/Montrose.
Are they going to fill in the road below the existing coliseum station and make it flat all the way along 118? That would mean new street level tracks - and this will be mega costly and take years to complete.

Are they going to fill in the road below the existing coliseum station and make it flat all the way along 118? That would mean new street level tracks - and this will be mega costly and take years to complete.
That's a very good question. The city's 2022 budget has money allocated towards rehabilitating/maintaining this overpass, so it would be a longer-term thing if it happens at all. I seem to recall hearing that it wouldn't happen, but the ARP doesn't mention this at all so I could be remembering something I read on here for all I know.

I seem to remember them talking about leveling out that underpass originally, and then ultimately deciding against it. I don't remember where I read that though, but I know it wasn't that long ago...

Back