News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Capital Line LRT

One can surmise construction on the extension will start next year? I’m guessing PCL will get it as their commercial business has been struggling lately in town. It’s funny how much lrt construction has been occurring and YYC’s Green is still 2 years away from even breaking g ground!!!!! But they’ve announced their trains already lol

Please, keep the LRT Briidge and pedestrian crossing at 118 Avenue.
gonna second this. As much as Coliseum station is a dank concrete labyrinth of a place in need of a refresh (sorry, i use it to get to work every morning, and the way the exits are all set up, as well as how dismal the platform amenities are, i have grown to hate it) the underpass is not all bad. it's gross as it is now, yes, but with some tlc it's quite useful. I highly doubt the active street frontage on 118 will ever make it that far east; given the Expo centre with its open space requirements for crowds and logistics to the south, and Wayne Gretzky Drive to the east. I don't see the location evolving into a big pedestrian draw in its own right.
The overpass allows traffic (including the large number of busses that use the transit centre on the east side) to move safely, independent of the trains. trains can move more quickly, being fully grade separated, no crossing gates to wait for (ie Mckernan-Belgravia). I just wish the station was spruced up, the platform level rebuilt with a better shelter, and that the MUP that runs right next to the line from downtown to belvedere would be pushed over the bridge too, using the unused space next to the station on the east side, as opposed to having to ride on the road, cross 118 (at one of the the slowest lights in the city, lemme tell ya) then circumnavigate the TC to get back trackside. Fixing that lil detour would be huge.
In short, keep the underpass, fix up the station so it feels less like a concrete maze, and sort out the MUP, and i think we have all we need at this particular station.

As someone who used to walk to the Coliseum LRT station daily for years, I personally would welcome the at grade crossing, because good lord everything about it was awful. I used to walk the south side of 118 ave, coming from 82nd. I could write a whole essay on my issues with it, especially winter time with it.

But lord, I can only imagine it'd be a tough sell to the public. Opinion here is obviously not in favour. Try explaining to the average Edmontonian how you're going to spend $12345678 dollars on tearing out the LRT stations, roads, completely backfilling it, then rebuilding all the station and infrastructure with an AT GRADE CROSSING and they'd probably have an aneurism.

Retain it as is until the useful life of the bridge is up and then fill it in.

Cost savings!

If it is properly maintained and kept up, the useful life would probably be much longer than if it were not.

If it were properly maintained and kept up, there would probably also be fewer issues related to it.

Perhaps the problem is not the infrastructure itself, but the city's lack of attention to it and related issues.

Keep the grade separation for the LRT but give the structure a revamp so that it's safer, has more sunlight and is less of a concrete bunker. This includes removing the fencing that runs down the middle of 118 Ave and installing a crosswalk with amber signals so that the road is less of a freeway. The SUP between the arena and the Expo Centre should be given a similar treatment - less concrete, more sunlight.

All of this should be done as part of the proposed Northlands renovations.

Last edited:
As someone who used to walk to the Coliseum LRT station daily for years, I personally would welcome the at grade crossing, because good lord everything about it was awful. I used to walk the south side of 118 ave, coming from 82nd. I could write a whole essay on my issues with it, especially winter time with it.

But lord, I can only imagine it'd be a tough sell to the public. Opinion here is obviously not in favour. Try explaining to the average Edmontonian how you're going to spend $12345678 dollars on tearing out the LRT stations, roads, completely backfilling it, then rebuilding all the station and infrastructure with an AT GRADE CROSSING and they'd probably have an aneurism.
I'd have an aneurysm.
If I were a Billionaire I'd pay from my own pocket to grade separate the whole Metro and Capital lines.
Especially if we want to have shorter headways and a more reliable service, as the city grows, we cannot even fathom the idea of adding at grade crossings where we currently have grade separation.

It's me. I'm average Edmontonian who'd probably have an aneurism.

Back