News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.1K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.3K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Capital Line LRT

So hopefully there will only 2 or 3 major construction interruptions (23 ave and maybe over henday) The remainder of constuction is on fairly open and unused land.
I wonder how the tunnel will be constructed, cut & cover? That's a very busy intersection with those heading south to the Heritage Valley area and west to Riverbend.

Also will be interesting to see if any of the road alignments will change, especially on the section on 111 north of Saddleback road across from the YMCA - there's not much space beside the MUP for tracks + a new MUP there unless they cut into the berm beside it.

Good illustration. With the LRT getting closer to the airport so we need to think ahead. We have actually already probably built the more difficult parts through the more urban areas.

As an added benefit, extending it to the airport would relieve the congestion on Highway 2, as a lot of people commute to work in Nisku.

I hope at least one of the candidates running for mayor looks at this and realizes this is the time to think ahead here.

I'm curious why every station except for the Heritage Valley station is centre loading? Is it possibly because of the future heritage valley hospital?
I'm wondering if it would integrate better into a pedestrian dedicated space so that the platform is right off the sidewalk as opposed to tracks separating the platform? I realize the platform for going the other direction would still be on the other side of the tracks, but maybe this is meant to be a pedestrian only area?

I'm wondering if it would integrate better into a pedestrian dedicated space so that the platform is right off the sidewalk as opposed to tracks separating the platform? I realize the platform for going the other direction would still be on the other side of the tracks, but maybe this is meant to be a pedestrian only area?
HVTC.jpg

Great to hear! That global video about the valley line speed/times included in the article is so frustrating though. What a over-simplified and mis-informed video. Obviously the person who made that doesn't have much knowledge of transit systems or the myriad of factors to consider in the "success" of a line. They act like 10mins, from the farthest end to end stations, is a big deal vs the capital line. What about speed, what about stops' integration with communities, what about cost? What about noise? What about safety? Videos like that are so disappointing. It's like evaluating a hockey player on how many goals they score and nothing else haha.

Great to hear! That global video about the valley line speed/times included in the article is so frustrating though. What a over-simplified and mis-informed video. Obviously the person who made that doesn't have much knowledge of transit systems or the myriad of factors to consider in the "success" of a line. They act like 10mins, from the farthest end to end stations, is a big deal vs the capital line. What about speed, what about stops' integration with communities, what about cost? What about noise? What about safety? Videos like that are so disappointing. It's like evaluating a hockey player on how many goals they score and nothing else haha.
I really like Vinesh but he has a bee in his bonnet when in comes to Edmonton’s LRT. He thinks it should mirror Vancouver’s sky train. He is not objective at anytime and seems unable to let it go.

I am confused by this statement in the CTV article "The Capital line will run under 23 Avenue and over Anthony Henday Drive. In a future phase, it will be extended over Ellerslie Road with funding from the federal government if the province is willing to make a matching commitment." https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/feds-greenlight-400m-for-capital-lrt-line-phase-1-work-1.5524618

Has not the Province provided support for a bridge over Ellerslie Road? Also what does it mean a future phase. What is the last stop on this funding announcement? I thought it was to the new hospital.

Considering that the Valley Line has been so much more successful with drawing in TOD compared to the Capital Line, for which a lot of people still have to use the bus to connect to it, that might balance things out a bit more.

As far as I can tell from the article I read, it would only be two additional stations: Twin Brooks and Ellerslie. It doesn't include a full extension to Heritage Valley, which I suppose is the aforementioned future phase.
The article is weirdly worded, but according to Global: "The project also includes an operations, maintenance and storage facility, the purchase of 24 electrically powered light rail vehicles, as well as the expansion and integration with the Heritage Valley park and ride facility." The city project page confirms this.

The Operations and Maintenance Facility (OMF) will be right next to the Heritage Valley Station if I remember right. The current Gerry Wright OMF in the Clareview area is overcapacitated (which is why you see LRVs sitting alongside its exterior facing Fort Road), so this one is pretty badly needed. I believe work has already started on constructing a parking lot immediately south of the Park and Ride, either for the OMF or the station. I can't find the announcement right now, but it was a city notice that a couple of sidewalks at the transit centre would be temporarily closed to accommodate the work.

Back