News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Canada Soccer

I still believe this has everything to do with Kenney punishing Edmonton. What is there to drag the government feet on? The benefits are obvious and supported through years of thorough thorough due diligence and a well assembled and supported business case. The UCP themselves have trumpeted all the lines of business, investment, tourism, etc. So what's the hold up? Support from the UCP will not even include fronting dollars today. All that's needed is a commitment to dollars down the road. Its an absolute no brainer and from all the readings and public disclosure I cannot find a reason why this shouldn't be supported. I truly believe that this comes down to Kenney not interested in supporting anything Edmonton and it would've been an absolute sealed deal if this were in Calgary.

Given his push to growth tourism to $20bil this decade... this aligns nicely and would drive an absolute ton of folks here, focus here and legacy projects that would support continued tourism dollar flow for years to come.

I still believe this has everything to do with Kenney punishing Edmonton. What is there to drag the government feet on? The benefits are obvious and supported through years of thorough thorough due diligence and a well assembled and supported business case. The UCP themselves have trumpeted all the lines of business, investment, tourism, etc. So what's the hold up? Support from the UCP will not even include fronting dollars today. All that's needed is a commitment to dollars down the road. Its an absolute no brainer and from all the readings and public disclosure I cannot find a reason why this shouldn't be supported. I truly believe that this comes down to Kenney not interested in supporting anything Edmonton and it would've been an absolute sealed deal if this were in Calgary.
I perhaps naively have been reluctant to say this is a specific punishment to Edmonton but it I find it hard to believe this would not have been funded by now were it Calgary.

I am fearful this could be something we look back on for the next 30 years with a what could have been lens and regret the fact we let a layup like this slip away. Without having direct knowledge I have to think Vancouver is working away in the background to get themselves back in the mix.

I think Alberta would be remiss to ignore supporting Edmonton and its facilities. The Grey Cup, concerts and other events are well-supported in Edmonton. Furthermore,
Many of these fans are from outside Edmonton and sometimes Alberta.

Next Monday's council meeting has a private report, likely regarding this: 9.1 Major Event Update. Whether any news comes out of it who knows, but I am sure that will update council on where it stands.
I wonder if this major update event is related to the national urban parks announcement rather than a soccer update? Or even the major cycling event or triathlon event we are hosting this year.

I wonder how much feedback government has received from the public on this?
My circle of friends has been circulating emails asking questions of the provincial government and their support for major events in Edmonton

I was hoping that the "Major Event Update" report that was heard in private at the City Council meeting yesterday was about the World Cup bid funding and we might get a snippet or two about it here or there but nothing so far. The silence is very troubling and getting more troubling with each passing day, given the March timelines previously made public.

Back