News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Canada Soccer

There is no doubt other places in Alberta would be benefitting significantly from this - Jasper, Banff, Kananaskis, Waterton and Calgary. The Stampede would be going on at the same time most likely, too.

I found it interesting that Vancouver's mayor noted that behind the scenes he has been working with partner municipalities - who would obviously benefit as well.

It would be nice to have various Alberta municipalities stand behind this bid collectively.

Well at least there was a statement from the Minister this time.

The deadline has been extended once. There is a deadline. At the current time, we're on schedule with that," Culture Minister Ron Orr said.

"Our ultimate goal, from the province's side, is quite frankly to make sure we have the best deal possible we can for Alberta."

It would have been nice if reporter just asked simple question of when the 'deadline' is. Is that not something people want to know? If that can't be disclosed, although I don't know why not, then say minister said can't be disclosed.

EDIT: heard back from newsroom and reporter asked various people about deadline and no one was willing to share that info.

Last edited:
I got a reply from Culture Minister Ron Orr this afternoon.

"My ministry will continue to collaborate with our partners in both the municipal and federal governments to bring major sport events to Alberta, provided these events benefit Albertans and make good economic sense. The Alberta government is currently reviewing the City of Edmonton’s request for provincial support for its bid to be a host city for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, including the potential economic, social, and legacy benefits.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your thoughts on this issue."

Sincerely,

I got a reply from Culture Minister Ron Orr this afternoon.

"My ministry will continue to collaborate with our partners in both the municipal and federal governments to bring major sport events to Alberta, provided these events benefit Albertans and make good economic sense. The Alberta government is currently reviewing the City of Edmonton’s request for provincial support for its bid to be a host city for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, including the potential economic, social, and legacy benefits.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your thoughts on this issue."

Sincerely,
I received the same response this afternoon.

There is no doubt other places in Alberta would be benefitting significantly from this - Jasper, Banff, Kananaskis, Waterton and Calgary. The Stampede would be going on at the same time most likely, too.

I found it interesting that Vancouver's mayor noted that behind the scenes he has been working with partner municipalities - who would obviously benefit as well.

It would be nice to have various Alberta municipalities stand behind this bid collectively.
Calgary should be putting the heat on to the province as well, they'd benefit from the added tourism just as much so it's surprising we haven't seen anything from them.

The whole lack of support up front from the UCP on funding for FIFA games has me really angry. And I am a centre right kind of guy. But I am so pissed with UCP and lack of support for Edmonton I am going to send $$$$$ to the NDP. Getting rid of Jason Kenney won't change that unless a new leader steps up and shows full support for the Capital City pronto.

The whole lack of support up front from the UCP on funding for FIFA games has me really angry. And I am a centre right kind of guy. But I am so pissed with UCP and lack of support for Edmonton I am going to send $$$$$ to the NDP. Getting rid of Jason Kenney won't change that unless a new leader steps up and shows full support for the Capital City pronto.

In all fairness, the UCP is far from being centre-right... Under Kenney's leadership they have moved further right than I think is reasonable, but again, I'm a registered Liberal, so there's that.

As for the unfairness with Edmonton, let's hope whoever replaces him (hopefully) in April at least has the amazing insight that if they want to recoup votes in Edmonton, they need to support the city, not neglect it

The federal government was on board right from the beginning and obviously the city was, too, in putting its name forward and going through this lengthy process since 2017. United Bid was selected in 2018 with Edmonton one of the three cities in the bid.

As you will see from this article, the NDP government under Notley was also silent at this time and had not committed, which was a surprise to Soccer Canada and Coun. Walters.

Walters noted the province has so far not backed the bid, but lobbying will continue.

“The door is not closed, but there is some hesitancy,” said Walters. “Ultimately, if we’re going to be left on the hook for full costs as we get closer to knowing, that’s not something we’d be comfortable with. But we feel confident we’re going to be able to pull it out. ”

Reed (Soccer Canada) also expressed his confidence in the bid moving forward, but admitted he was surprised when the province expressed reservations to support the bid.

“It wasn’t something that overly concerned us because we’re confident with the City of Edmonton and what they’ve done to date,” said Reed. “We’re very confident in their ability to engage with the province of Alberta as they have done in the past to bring events to the city and the province.”

Ultimately, Reed said hosting the games would be a huge win for Edmonton, and Canada.

I have written and called NDP MLAs Notley, Shepherd and Irwin and have not heard a peep from any of them. I did talk to Shepherd's office worker and she said they haven't received any calls.
I wonder if this was Calgary, where NDP needs to win seats, if they would be as silent.

Council dealt with that 'major event update' today in private.

CTV news asked Sohi about it- same old story. City looking for province to commit. No timeline. No information.

Back