News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.7K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Canada Soccer

The consent agenda has 9.1 having a Request for Decision, so it would appear that it is more than an update. Possibly committing to a capital profile?

I am wondering if the City and Feds could do it without the province providing funding at this stage?

The silence on everything is killing me, I haven't even heard back from my MLA on the matter.

Tim Cartmell said on twitter they are working on it as council. Good to see his support as I know he also went direct to the ucp to get terwillegar done when the rest of council was delaying. He’s a more traditional conservation (more center than kenney), so his support matters a lot.

Tim Cartmell said on twitter they are working on it as council. Good to see his support as I know he also went direct to the ucp to get terwillegar done when the rest of council was delaying. He’s a more traditional conservation (more center than kenney), so his support matters a lot.
I predict we won't ever need to talk about Kenney when the bum is thrown out as Leader of the UCP. I hope you all realize its going to happen because of the many people eating magically delicious lucky charms and doing the leprechaun dance. In case you are in your work office bored out of your mind here are the steps for the dance if you don't know. Maybe close the office door first? or not.

Leprechaun Irish Jig Line Dance How To
  1. Step 1 Heal, Toe, heal, Stomp. Begin with your right foot, ...
  2. Step 2 Heal, heal. Begin with your right foot, ...
  3. Step 3 Four kicks. Kick step Alternating right then left foot forward, 5,&,6,&,7,&,8,&.
  4. Step 4 Progressive Jig forward and back. ...
  5. Step 5 Walk around turn and close.

This is literally making me sick:

Vancouver's mayor:
"I’ve been working overtime, both behind the scenes with Soccer Canada, with FIFA, with First Nations, with partner municipalities, to make sure I do everything I can to make this successful,” Stewart said. “This is a very real possibility … Later this month or early April, you will see, if everything goes right, Vancouver on the list of host cities. And that’s so exciting for the city.

“You think about coming out of COVID … you think about the impacts on our businesses, just how tough it’s been on downtown businesses, if you think bringing a 30-day World Cup event to this city, with a fan zone where everybody can watch with, with all kinds of events connected with dignitaries, it’ll be the most exciting place on the planet.”

“We’re actually almost on the top of the list when it comes to stadiums in terms of where FIFA would like to have games,” he said.

This is literally making me sick:

Vancouver's mayor:
"I’ve been working overtime, both behind the scenes with Soccer Canada, with FIFA, with First Nations, with partner municipalities, to make sure I do everything I can to make this successful,” Stewart said. “This is a very real possibility … Later this month or early April, you will see, if everything goes right, Vancouver on the list of host cities. And that’s so exciting for the city.

“You think about coming out of COVID … you think about the impacts on our businesses, just how tough it’s been on downtown businesses, if you think bringing a 30-day World Cup event to this city, with a fan zone where everybody can watch with, with all kinds of events connected with dignitaries, it’ll be the most exciting place on the planet.”

“We’re actually almost on the top of the list when it comes to stadiums in terms of where FIFA would like to have games,” he said.

Even if Edmonton gets in on it they have already probably lost a couple games by leaving the door open for Vancouver to jump back in. As importantly could be the loss of the Canada tournament opener.

Of course we are all just speculating. Has the media been able to get any kind of comment on this from anyone with the province? I haven't seen anything thus far.

To be one of THREE host cities (instead of two) and hosting 3 games (instead of 5) looks like it might be the best case scenario for us at this point. After putting in all the time, effort and $s to support our bid and then have Vancouver swoop in at the last minute and steal it from us would be the ultimate in political....ineptitude? Indifference to Edmonton? Spite towards Edmonton? A combination?
We made a brilliant run up the field, deked through a number of defenders, made a perfect pass to the GoA standing wide open in the box only to have them stub their toe, do a face plant into the turf and have the ball skip to Vancouver for an easy tap in for the golden goal. This is beyond belief!!!!!!!

BMO has already been confirmed as the host stadium in Toronto, it's the best soccer stadium in the country. It will be expanded to 45,000+ similar to when they hosted the Heritage Classic
Ah ok
To be one of THREE host cities (instead of two) and hosting 3 games (instead of 5) looks like it might be the best case scenario for us at this point. After putting in all the time, effort and $s to support our bid and then have Vancouver swoop in at the last minute and steal it from us would be the ultimate in political....ineptitude? Indifference to Edmonton? Spite towards Edmonton? A combination?
We made a brilliant run up the field, deked through a number of defenders, made a perfect pass to the GoA standing wide open in the box only to have them stub their toe, do a face plant into the turf and have the ball skip to Vancouver for an easy tap in for the golden goal. This is beyond belief!!!!!!!
This is our best chance then

Certainly when Edmonton was looking to be a host for the NHL playoff bubble in 2020 the province was speaking publicly.

For this event though, they have never made any comments about it versus what we have seen in Ontario and now BC about the economic benefits and enhanced tourism that the 30 days would bring.

In Alberta?
Not. One. Public. Comment. Again, the province did not even show up or have a rep when FIFA was here for the site visit. It's like they hope if they ignore it long enough it will go away - which is getting super close to happening given a decision is a few weeks away.

Certainly when Edmonton was looking to be a host for the NHL playoff bubble in 2020 the province was speaking publicly.

For this event though, they have never made any comments about it versus what we have seen in Ontario and now BC about the economic benefits and enhanced tourism that the 30 days would bring.

In Alberta?
Not. One. Public. Comment. Again, the province did not even show up or have a rep when FIFA was here for the site visit. It's like they hope if they ignore it long enough it will go away - which is getting super close to happening given a decision is a few weeks away.
If you go back to any of Kenney's comments and announcements around promoting Edmonton for the NHL bubble, it had everything to do with him proving and promoting to Alberta and Canada and Trudeau about how good he was doing at dealing with COVID. At the time, it suited his political agenda.

"The bid by the Oilers and Kenney has previously focused on the fact Alberta has flattened the curve on COVID cases, is a world leader in per-capita testing, and could keep players isolated because the downtown home arena Rogers Place is linked by pedway to hotels and other amenities."

Unfortunately today, the World Cup which is years away, and under a completely different political scenario (Kenney fighting for his political life, constant back and forth between Sohi/Edmonton and Kenney), the World Cup does not suit his political agenda.

Unfortunately today, the World Cup which is years away, and under a completely different political scenario (Kenney fighting for his political life, constant back and forth between Sohi/Edmonton and Kenney), the World Cup does not suit his political agenda.

It has two sides, however.
Throwing full support, now that everyone knows that provincial support is essential for the bid to be successful, could help sway votes for him and the UCP here, considering the economic impact for the city.

If you go back to any of Kenney's comments and announcements around promoting Edmonton for the NHL bubble, it had everything to do with him proving and promoting to Alberta and Canada and Trudeau about how good he was doing at dealing with COVID. At the time, it suited his political agenda.

"The bid by the Oilers and Kenney has previously focused on the fact Alberta has flattened the curve on COVID cases, is a world leader in per-capita testing, and could keep players isolated because the downtown home arena Rogers Place is linked by pedway to hotels and other amenities."

Good point about Kenney's motives for supporting the NHL playoffs in Edmonton. I should have known better.

@Fetch good pickup. Given that a decision was required for the in private report to City Council, I bet that you are on to something. I am wondering if the province is either out altogether or will not commit to the full a$k (rumors of $100M) and City Council had to decide if it would commit to fund a great share of what was asked of the GoA?

Back