News   Apr 03, 2020
 8.1K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

Alberta Politics

All I'd say is that half of the full list of "rights" approved by the UCP board deal with criminal law, over which the province has no say, and half deal with rights already guaranteed in the Charter -- Except the 'pursuit of happiness' - I suppose that could be a provincial responsibility.

The Bill of Rights has no basis in law. It's all for show.
There are a lot of feel good platitudes targeted at more extreme UCP members, but it is essentially meaningless.

For instance, law abiding Albertans can own guns, but many of the laws related to this are Federal and even if Smith doesn't like or respect them, they are still laws.

From Braid:

"The UCP board, elected by UCP members, is now developing and endorsing policy, and expecting the premier to implement it.

A draft bill of rights from a UCP group in Medicine Hat was endorsed “verbatim” by the board. It calls for “the right to bear arms,” a straight steal from the U.S. Second Amendment.

Remarkably, the party president even suggested the board vote should be taken as approval by the entire party membership.

This is unheard of in nearly 50 years of Alberta governments calling themselves conservative."

From Braid:

"The UCP board, elected by UCP members, is now developing and endorsing policy, and expecting the premier to implement it.

A draft bill of rights from a UCP group in Medicine Hat was endorsed “verbatim” by the board. It calls for “the right to bear arms,” a straight steal from the U.S. Second Amendment.

Remarkably, the party president even suggested the board vote should be taken as approval by the entire party membership.

This is unheard of in nearly 50 years of Alberta governments calling themselves conservative."

Yes, there is some pressure on her, but I feel to some degree putting it that way is spin. Smith consistently feels most comfortable governing and appealing to this crowd. She just has an excuse to do that now.

Back