News   Apr 03, 2020
 8.1K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 3K     0 

Alberta Politics

She mentioned last week that she was going to announce something about schools being overcrowded and they had a solution. Probably just going to buy more portables for schools! :rolleyes:
I don't know about Edmonton Public, but the Edmonton Catholic had 22 full time positions they couldn't fill this year. The mass retirement of boomers over covid, stagnant wages, tougher working conditions, and fewer young people training to be a teacher means there is a shortage of staff as much as there is a shortage of space. My bet is she announces a plan to hire uncertified/lower trained teachers. The strike next year is going to be a doozy.

^

Sooo…

The Alberta government has officially handed back more than $137 million to the federal government after running out of time to spend the cash to clean up old oil and natural gas wells.

They ran out of time???

They’ve had four years!

And we still have almost 180,000 inactive or marginally producing wells!

In the meantime, at the same time Alberta's energy minister is promising strong action to clean up the province's growing backlog of unreclaimed oil and gas sites.

Brian Jean says the effort might involve public finances, even though industry is already legally required to clean up its mess.

He says the industry may also need a lighter regulatory burden.

I don't know about Edmonton Public, but the Edmonton Catholic had 22 full time positions they couldn't fill this year. The mass retirement of boomers over covid, stagnant wages, tougher working conditions, and fewer young people training to be a teacher means there is a shortage of staff as much as there is a shortage of space. My bet is she announces a plan to hire uncertified/lower trained teachers. The strike next year is going to be a doozy.
Very true.

And it may be sooner than next year, FYI.

$850million to wind down the green line project (at a minimum) and the City of Calgary is hoping to be made whole - as in the province pays for this cost.

The province, it seems, is also looking at the high floor trains for its version of the project, instead of the low floor trains Calgary already ordered. Maybe Edmonton can get a good deal on some extra low floor trains if what they ordered are compatible.

For the record, I am quite happy to be wrong. Still no idea how they are going to staff these new schools.

$850million to wind down the green line project (at a minimum) and the City of Calgary is hoping to be made whole - as in the province pays for this cost.

The province, it seems, is also looking at the high floor trains for its version of the project, instead of the low floor trains Calgary already ordered. Maybe Edmonton can get a good deal on some extra low floor trains if what they ordered are compatible.
Total costs for almost the same price as the Valley Line West with effectively nothing to show for it.

The Valley Line's issues seems like peanuts compared to this. At least we have stuff getting built. Good point on the low floor trains though, if we can somehow snag those in the future then that could be a nice little boon.

Calgary getting yanked around on their green line is insane. What a colossal waste of money and time on projects that are well underway. I'm genuinely upset for them as i know that project was talked about forever. Her changes could have easily been implemented after the fact instead of wasting a billion (if they are lucky) bucks. Like does she even understand just how painfully long it takes to get projects off the ground, engineered, ready for construction? i mean maybe she does and this is appeasement for oil jerks who control the purse strings.

speech tonight got my blood boiling. The housing snippets especially. The feds came calling with money for housing and matching, not only did these boneheads get in between the cities and feds that were setting up accelerator funds, she completely left money on the table that could have helped fund housing in both metros. boo. And ushering in Chartered schools after YEARS of chronically underfunded schools is deeply disappointing.

Still just can't find that money for that south hospital eh? bummer, sure hope all these new residents never get sick or anything.

she sure has lobbyist groups interests at heart every step of the way,

Last edited:

IDK about that hope to be made whole. I really don't see the province wanting to do much to help out cities and they seem reluctant to acknowledge any contribution on their part to this problem.

Calgary getting yanked around on their green line is insane. What a colossal waste of money and time on projects that are well underway. I'm genuinely upset for them as i know that project was talked about forever. Her changes could have easily been implemented after the fact instead of wasting a billion (if they are lucky) bucks. Like does she even understand just how painfully long it takes to get projects off the ground, engineered, ready for construction? i mean maybe she does and this is appeasement for oil jerks who control the purse strings.

speech tonight got my blood boiling. The housing snippets especially. The feds came calling with money for housing and matching, not only did these boneheads get in between the cities and feds that were setting up accelerator funds, she completely left money on the table that could have helped fund housing in both metros. boo. And ushering in Chartered schools after YEARS of chronically underfunded schools is deeply disappointing.

Still just can't find that money for that south hospital eh? bummer, sure hope all these new residents never get sick or anything.

she sure has lobbyist groups interests at heart every step of the way,
She seems to have spent most of the surplus on private schools, so yeah likely no money for that south hospital or more for health care, but that was a very faint hope at this point anyways.

Sooo…

More money for more schools is a good thing although, as with most things, the devil is in the details.

According to David Staples, “The plan, Smith told me, is to switch the funding and accounting model for school builds. No longer will the province give school boards upfront cash grants to build and own schools, thus creating a major annual operating expense for the province.”

“Instead, the province will take on long-term loans to build the new schools. The province will retain ownership of any new school, lease it to the school board, and treat it as a capital asset on the provincial budget sheet.”

““It’s not going to impact our operational budget and it will allow us to still deliver on our tax cut,” Smith said.”

Perhaps it’s my own paranoia, but does this not put the provincial government in the same position with schools as they are with hospitals? If they don’t like the results or the curriculum - or whatever they choose not to like - are they not now going to be in a position to say to a school board “If you don’t change and do as we wish, we’ll just give the school to someone else to operate”?
😞

Sooo…

More money for more schools is a good thing although, as with most things, the devil is in the details.

According to David Staples, “The plan, Smith told me, is to switch the funding and accounting model for school builds. No longer will the province give school boards upfront cash grants to build and own schools, thus creating a major annual operating expense for the province.”

“Instead, the province will take on long-term loans to build the new schools. The province will retain ownership of any new school, lease it to the school board, and treat it as a capital asset on the provincial budget sheet.”

““It’s not going to impact our operational budget and it will allow us to still deliver on our tax cut,” Smith said.”

Perhaps it’s my own paranoia, but does this not put the provincial government in the same position with schools as they are with hospitals? If they don’t like the results or the curriculum - or whatever they choose not to like - are they not now going to be in a position to say to a school board “If you don’t change and do as we wish, we’ll just give the school to someone else to operate”?
😞
OMG ... so this seems to be financial engineering, the asset and debt offset so no impact on the operational side, but in reality isn't this a net increase in debt to basically fund a tax cut via an asset purchase?

If schools are going to owned by the Province in the future, then what is the reason to have local school taxes anymore? Better for those to be cut instead then.

Sooo…

😞

Maybe this has more to do with the rapidly changing demographics of the province and providing more flexibility there?

For instance if a school is built in a primarily Anglo-European populated community, it makes sense for there to be English language instruction. But if over the course of a generation or two, the community demographic shifts to become more Indian or Arabic, it would make sense for that school to be operated by an organization more familiar with those language and cultural backgrounds.

Sounds like a smart move, and surprisingly prescient on the part of the province!

Back