News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.4K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.8K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

2023 Predictions

If I had to put a headline on 2023 it would be the story of LRT. VLSE finally opening with fanfare, VLW competently chugging along with visible progress, Metro Blatchford nearing completion, and initial works for Capital line south extension underway.

I think we'll see a lot of deck chair shuffling as portfolios get realigned to new market conditions

-GWL sells Brewery District Towers site but nothing more happens
-Jameson site gets sold, new developer hits the ground running with similar plans and construction commences by Q4, if not earlier
-Rohit buys the Eric Cormack site from the Alberta Government, propose their first vertical tower project
-Someone else partners with Eagle Builders on another relatively bland but dense development project in the Strathcona area
-Wexford finally figures out their financing issues, proceeds on The Clancey downtown (if any of these happen, please let it be this one)
-Procura moves forward with some sort of plans on their 109th and 100 ave sites south of WSP building
0/6 this year

I'm guessing a few projects will get rolling and digging for 2024 if the Housing Accelerator Fund comes through for us tbh.

I predict a surprise announcement in 2024!
Oh, I was just phishing or trolling for phish -- I expect there will be many surprise announcements in 2024. At a minimum I expect the 39/40 storey tower for Qualico's Village to proceed along with the submerged ped-tunnel connecting same to Churchill Square and the Civic Precinct; I expect 2nd tower announcements for Le Parc and Falcon II (Peregrine); I expect the Shift to get in gear (see what I did there?); I expect both of the Westrich properties in the Ice District Precinct to reach the preliminary design phase with accompanying renderings; ditto for the Katz Ice district tower conjoined with Katz-west property -- none of these would I classify as "surprise announcements".
Surprises would include:
-- the announcement of a new professional sports team to take up residency in Rogers Arena (like WNBA as a "feeler" for an NBA team to show up later in the next decade).
-- movement on the Clancy Tower
-- a next phase development for NorQuest College
-- a re-announcement of the Alldritt tower in the Quarters
-- a Stanley Cup
-- a confirmed start on a two-tower project in west Oliver
-- a pick-up-the-pieces announcement on a revised Gondola route that does not offend First Nations' Interests in Rossdale.
Any substantial completion of the foregoing would send the Negs into a "what-should-I-do-now" tizzy that might finally force them to move to Calgary (some already have their foot half-way through that door).

Oh, I was just phishing or trolling for phish -- I expect there will be many surprise announcements in 2024. At a minimum I expect the 39/40 storey tower for Qualico's Village to proceed along with the submerged ped-tunnel connecting same to Churchill Square and the Civic Precinct; I expect 2nd tower announcements for Le Parc and Falcon II (Peregrine); I expect the Shift to get in gear (see what I did there?); I expect both of the Westrich properties in the Ice District Precinct to reach the preliminary design phase with accompanying renderings; ditto for the Katz Ice district tower conjoined with Katz-west property -- none of these would I classify as "surprise announcements".
Surprises would include:
-- the announcement of a new professional sports team to take up residency in Rogers Arena (like WNBA as a "feeler" for an NBA team to show up later in the next decade).
-- movement on the Clancy Tower
-- a next phase development for NorQuest College
-- a re-announcement of the Alldritt tower in the Quarters
-- a Stanley Cup
-- a confirmed start on a two-tower project in west Oliver
-- a pick-up-the-pieces announcement on a revised Gondola route that does not offend First Nations' Interests in Rossdale.
Any substantial completion of the foregoing would send the Negs into a "what-should-I-do-now" tizzy that might finally force them to move to Calgary (some already have their foot half-way through that door).
A Stanley Cup would be more than a surprise; it would be a statistical anomaly.

If the gondola does reanimate, I'd prefer it have little to do with integrating into the ETS system and more to do to tie existing attractions together....buy a gondola pass and get reduced entrance fees into the paid attractions. Route could go:

(Muttart/Edmonton Queen/Edmonton Ski Club), (Loise McKinney park/Funicular), (Touch the Water/Telus Field), (Kinsmen Field House/QE outdoor pool), (Hawrlak park), (Valley zoo/Laurier park) / (Ft. Edmonton park/Jansen nature centre). Id go for that.

Last edited:
(Muttart/Edmonton Queen/Edmonton Ski Club), (Touch the Water/Telus Field), (Kinsmen Field House/QE outdoor pool), (Hawrlak park), (Valley zoo/Laurier park) / (Ft. Edmonton park/Jansen nature centre). Id go for that.
I like that route and I like that kind of thinking!

2024 should be a good year for industrial projects in and around the city.
Yup, Dow has a big addition coming, I believe at least another Hydrogen plant. and another power generation facility. Add in the expansion at Capital waste centre should really be moving next year. As well the Wood Fibre LNG site in Squamish gets started so there will be considerable movement from local contractors on that as well.

Surprises would include:
Definitely would be a surprise! I realize this message is a joke and I agree that Edmonton getting an NBA team is definitely a long shot, there are probably 10-15 cities the NBA would look at expansion before Edmonton (including Calgary, once their new arena finishes)

However,

I wonder about MLS, they have been expanding very rapidly over the past decade and unlike the big 4, football has a precedent for having multi-tiered leagues, making something like 50 teams possible with relegation. I wouldn't be surprised if Alberta (and Commonwealth in particular) is on a short list of 10 or so potential expansion sites. The MLS also has a history of expanding to smaller cities with untapped potential. Like Austin for example (not quite a perfect example as Austin had no pro sports before and is larger but I think it's a decent comparison). I've actually seen MLS fans (not the league themselves necessarily but still), suggest that both Edmonton and Calgary could be on a shortlist for MLS expansion.

There haven't been any bids or actual movement on any of this but, I think it could work in the next decade or so, given MLS continues its rapid growth, made possible by its centralized ownership structure.

Maybe it could take the form of an Alberta FC playing out of Commonwealth but representing the whole province, or an Edmonton and Calgary FC, maintaining the fierce Battle of Alberta rivalry through American Football, actual Football and Hockey. I would immediately become a huge fan of either an Alberta FC or Edmonton FC and would be buying jerseys, hats, etc. right out the gate.

Back