News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Downtown

The Commerce Place McD's is clearly waiting for more office workers to return.
It has that sort of abandoned/permanently closed look to it. I'm ok with that, as there are a number of other food places there I like and prefer.

If someone really wants McD's, they can go to the one in City Centre which is not too far away.

BTW the Commerce Place McDs used to be the Daily Planet cafe/deli for many years. They relocated to Bell Tower to make way for McDs, then continued at Bell Tower for a few more years until it was permanently closed. When they closed, I can't really remember.

So for the most part downtown streets and sidewalks have been free and clear of any major snow for the better part of a month now. When will we get to see street and sidewalk cleaners out?

No reason why street cleaning could/should not be proactive and be able to start cleaning as soon as snowlessly possible. All the dirt, dust and rocks littering the sidewalks on 104 street, Jasper ave, 102ave, etc could very well have been cleaned by now instead of having to wait until April or May.

For comparison purposes I know for a fact that there have been parts of downtown Calgary, like Stephen ave, that have already been swept twice.

YYC always seems to have quicker snow melt than us....thus leaving them the opportunity to clean their streets faster than us. But yes, the way I carry on, yell and scream at the lack of sand/debris removal my wife says I would make a good candidate of City of EDM worker in charge of the Operations.

So for the most part downtown streets and sidewalks have been free and clear of any major snow for the better part of a month now. When will we get to see street and sidewalk cleaners out?

No reason why street cleaning could/should not be proactive and be able to start cleaning as soon as snowlessly possible. All the dirt, dust and rocks littering the sidewalks on 104 street, Jasper ave, 102ave, etc could very well have been cleaned by now instead of having to wait until April or May.

For comparison purposes I know for a fact that there have been parts of downtown Calgary, like Stephen ave, that have already been swept twice.
Exactly.

It is simply outrageous that the City refuses to do cleaning in the winter.

Sand and salt piled on the side of the road is serving no traction/snow control purpose. Get rid of it!

Exactly.

It is simply outrageous that the City refuses to do cleaning in the winter.

Sand and salt piled on the side of the road is serving no traction/snow control purpose. Get rid of it!
Victoria promenade was brutal yesterday. So many leaves and gravel everywhere. I wish we would prioritize getting a few sweeps on these areas every time there’s a good warm spell in the spring.

A street cleaner was out last Sunday.
PXL_20230320_034308049.TS_exported_333_1679879740674.jpg

YYC always seems to have quicker snow melt than us....thus leaving them the opportunity to clean their streets faster than us. But yes, the way I carry on, yell and scream at the lack of sand/debris removal my wife says I would make a good candidate of City of EDM worker in charge of the Operations.
I think the problem is the weather varies from year to year, but they seem to be on some fixed schedule that they can't or don't want to change.

This year there was not a lot of snow and they certainly could have started cleaning earlier. I also did finally see a street cleaner yesterday.

Reference ID:Job No 467128703-002
Description:To install (1) Fascia On-Premises Sign (STERLING DRUG MART).
Plan B2 Blk 8 Lots 105-106
Applicant:LIBERTY SIGN RENTALS
Create Date:3/21/2023 3:25:48 PM
Neighbourhood:DOWNTOWN
Issue Date:3/28/2023 12:00:00 AM
Class of Permit:Class A

Corporate Cleanup Challenge Presented by the Downtown Recovery Coalition​

Come join is for a massive downtown corporate cleanup event designed to kickoff Edmonton’s spring season and revitalize our downtown core.
Our goal is to engage businesses and community members who share a passion for a vital downtown, in a fun, weekend activity.
This event will build community between people who believe downtown is the showpiece of the city. Take ownership of your downtown with the Corporate Cleanup Challenge!

• Friday April 21st from 2-4 PM
  • Saturday April 22nd 11-1 PM

^I think you'll find the pace pick up once Uni is out for the summer. The City hires oodles of students but the contracts don't start till after that.
Not even that really, it’s more so many of their seasonal summer workers are in positions that don’t start until spring sweep is done, which just happens to coincide with when uni finishes (mid-late April). Not much grass to cut for the turf crews before then

I think part of the problem is the mentality here not to do anything at all in the winter to clean up. Yes, there are some days and months that are too cold, but the mess piles up for months and months and becomes very noticeable at this time of year, especially in a year like this when we don't have a lot of snow.

You probably don't need a huge clean up crew, but keep or start a few people early for this time of year to start the clean up.

Back