News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.6K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton City Centre Mall (Renovations) | ?m | 2s | LaSalle Investment Management

What I noticed they did several years ago around one of the problematic bars was a clean up on Sunday morning - that was a good idea, not sure if that is still scheduled.

Another problem is things pile up in the winter and it seems there is no big clean up until May or June, so we have garbage everywhere for a month or half or two. For goodness sake clean it up in late March or in early April, don't wait until summer.
I am hopeful that won't happen this year for several reasons, 1) new cleaning strategy coming, 2) big cleanup in preparation for the Juno Awards.

I am hopeful that won't happen this year for several reasons, 1) new cleaning strategy coming, 2) big cleanup in preparation for the Juno Awards.
It shouldn't take a national awards show to get us to clean up things properly, but I will be glad if it it does. Hopefully it will

I think the city is quite blind to the reputational damage caused by all the downtown problems and neglect. A lots of people visit downtown, expecting all the things you might see in a normal downtown, like lots of people and stores, not terribly empty malls. I shudder to think what they say about Edmonton when they go back to where they came from.

If they are on the ball (and that is a big if), they could at least temporarily fill some of that empty space for a week or two around the awards show for performances or other things related to the Juno's so it doesn't quite seem so awful when all the visitors are here.

It shouldn't take a national awards show to get us to clean up things properly, but I will be glad if it it does. Hopefully it will

I think the city is quite blind to the reputational damage caused by all the downtown problems and neglect. A lots of people visit downtown, expecting all the things you might see in a normal downtown, like lots of people and stores, not terribly empty malls. I shudder to think what they say about Edmonton when they go back to where they came from.

If they are on the ball (and that is a big if), they could at least temporarily fill some of that empty space for a week or two around the awards show for performances or other things related to the Juno's so it doesn't quite seem so awful when all the visitors are here.
Can you share more on "new cleaning strategy"?

This seems so very overdue... I haven't heard of this

'I shudder to think what they say about Edmonton when they go back to where they came from.'

March 13 - The Junos

We know ICE District, Rogers Place (interior) and the JW will show well.

BUT, a tough time of the year look/cleanliness-wise; here's hoping a comprehensive once-over is done to:

1. get all of those broken wayfinding fixed, lit and helpful for visitors
2. weather cooperates for some power washing where possible, especially along the north side 104ave 'wall' from 102-104st
3. RHW, 104st, Jasper Ave, Churchill Sq. tree lights are fixed, all on and looking amazing given how prominent it will be for visitors
4. 104st gets a tidy from 104ave-100ave
5. Jasper sees some significant polishing up (within reason) from 99-109st including graffiti removal
6. EPS, Transit officers are ever-present for the whole weekend
7. 101st is somehow improved
8. it would be nice to see excess snow/dirt removed around he core in windrows (if any), curbs etc.
9. ECC has 109 popup stores for 3 days to showcase local stores, wares, artists to bring 20,000 more people Downtown who will then spill out and explore
10. The AGA and RAM are putting on unique events to create other pockets of activity

I will reflect post-Junos to see how Edmonton did.

Will be so nice to see ECC full of pop up stores - will definitely be checking it out.

Would have been nice to have the lrt running.

I should be clear that my list is just that, my (expectation) list.

Here's hoping.

The ops/maint groups are more coordinated now, but the stories I could tell you about how inept things were (maybe still are) would surprise you.

Unless our decision makers are deaf dumb and blind they should be able to come up with something similar too.

Well in the case of 109 pop up stores in ECC for three days, i wonder how much would that cost and who would pay for it? The pop up stores? The city? The EDBA with the $1 million it was just given? Would ECC give a favorable rate or garner everything they can get? Look at what the airport hotels were charging and the federal government paid to house people in quarantine during covid.

Point being to do something a wee bit out of the (retail) box during a major event/festival to bring a whole bunch more folks Downtown.

ECC basically needs to shutter, redevelop or reinvent itself and hopefully the latter of the two.

Screen Shot 2023-02-04 at 12.22.01 PM.png

A Ghermezian attempt to mollify the CoE over well-founded fears that WEM was killing downtown (back in the day).

Back