News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.3K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.6K     0 

Edmonton City Centre Mall (Renovations) | ?m | 2s | LaSalle Investment Management

Please report overflowing garbage cans, graffiti etc to 311. The app is very easy to use and the City does follow up. If you're not seeming to having any success please feel free to report the issue to me and I will try to follow up. I reported 4 things yesterday and got calls about them before 11am this morning. EDBA has crews out 7 days a week in high pedestrian areas and if there's a problem area you think needs to be addressed I can also try to pass that along.
Good advice! I find things go sideways on weekends as opposed to during the week. Especially hornet laden garbage cans in the summer time overflowing with melted slush cups.

Good advice! I find things go sideways on weekends as opposed to during the week. Especially hornet laden garbage cans in the summer time overflowing with melted slush cups.
From my experience it can sometimes take up to a week before they are emptied. If it is a bus stop it is transit responsibility.

Love this idea
Very bad idea. Seniors don’t spend very much money on food, drinks clothing or entertainment. If the developers want to attract retail in the podium this would not be much of an attraction. There are many other places close to downtown that would be more suitable.

I think the old Centennial Building on 103 Avenue (with an access to City Centre) has seniors living.

Actually, Retail data disproves that notion. Maybe your Seniors don't, but my Seniors do.
It is not a matter of pure ageism. Statistically speaking, people over the ages of 65 years spend less money on items such as clothing and entertainment. They tend to have higher expenses in healthcare and travels, for example.

Y'all should also check the roster of any Golf and Country Club and season-ticket holders at major sporting events. And if you include dining out as entertainment then you might toss that into the mix as well (we tend to eat out with friends at least three times a week, no exceptions). All generalizations are false (including this one).

KcMoum44mbZ6LWWuAmIg7yvk_xfYM6H20QROxFjcQBI.png

At this point all boomers are seniors and they outspend GenZ (up to age 25) by 150%. And if it wasn't for the housing burden on GenX and Millennials the numbers would be fairly close across the board. But, unsubstantiated, believe what you want.

What I noticed they did several years ago around one of the problematic bars was a clean up on Sunday morning - that was a good idea, not sure if that is still scheduled.

Another problem is things pile up in the winter and it seems there is no big clean up until May or June, so we have garbage everywhere for a month or half or two. For goodness sake clean it up in late March or in early April, don't wait until summer.

Love this idea
Uh, I think all the safety issues would have to be dealt with first. If 35 years old are leery and hesitant to go downtown, you think it is going to apeal to a 75 or 80 year old?

Well actually maybe they are tougher.

Uh, I think all the safety issues would have to be dealt with first. If 35 years old are leery and hesitant to go downtown, you think it is going to apeal to a 75 or 80 year old?

Well actually maybe they are tougher.
I think it would force the issue in a positive way. City Center Mall is private property, they are allowed to kick anyone out for any reason. But they haven't been just kicking out unsavory elements because of the public outcry (largely from suburbanites who conveniently never even come downtown).

If there were some bona fide constituents in that mall that were sympathetic to the public and had plenty of spare time to complain, I think it would start to clean up.

View attachment 453459
At this point all boomers are seniors and they outspend GenZ (up to age 25) by 150%. And if it wasn't for the housing burden on GenX and Millennials the numbers would be fairly close across the board. But, unsubstantiated, believe what you want.
Its not quite as noticeable here, but housing costs for young people in many places are horribly large, so there really is not much disposable income these days. There is not a lot of money left over for discretionary things like clothing and entertainment, which is sure not good for mall retail businesses.

Of course, boomers don't spend a lot on clothing either, but a bit more on entertainment.

Boomers don't spend that much on clothing because they already have a huge wardrobe (you should have seen my mother's closets -- yes, more than one) -- what they do spend tends to be upper end and more fashionable.

Back