News   Apr 03, 2020
 7.2K     3 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 7.4K     0 
News   Apr 02, 2020
 2.5K     0 

Miscellaneous

Apologies, a bit unsure of where this should go so here will do for now

The Alberta Government released concept designs for the wading pool at the Legislature.

In the link youll see 3 concept and a survey.
I like option B but would prefer elements of all three.

Already posted in Urban Life > Legislature Grounds / Centennial Plaza

1BEFF15D-A6FD-421F-B3B2-3907C64B90EC.jpeg

For some quick context to any wondering: this is in relation to this where the Alberta Government didn't renew the lease and funding support for Edmonton Emergency Relief Services, so they can redevelop the site.
Doesn't Westrich now own this property? As I read in the article, the GoA is selling surplus land and I thought it was mentioned that Westrich bought this.

Doesn't Westrich now own this property? As I read in the article, the GoA is selling surplus land and I thought it was mentioned that Westrich bought this.
Westrich did buy this, and their intention is to turn it into temporary parking for the next couple years....

Where have we heard that before?

Parking! Phew, am I ever glad to see more parking in the area, we do not have enough with the Ice District underground right across the street, or with the lot north of the storage building, or the Impark lot directly west, or the parking tower attached to Japanese village, never mind the street parking. This area needs more parking and I am glad we as a city and administration can support more parking in a downtown area that badly needs it while also advocating for less parking and driving into the core...(sarcasm).

Parking! Phew, am I ever glad to see more parking in the area, we do not have enough with the Ice District underground right across the street, or with the lot north of the storage building, or the Impark lot directly west, or the parking tower attached to Japanese village, never mind the street parking. This area needs more parking and I am glad we as a city and administration can support more parking in a downtown area that badly needs it while also advocating for less parking and driving into the core...(sarcasm).

Now, now. Maybe this will be free parking for people to support the businesses in the westrich towers.

Now, now. Maybe this will be free parking for people to support the businesses in the westrich towers.
Westrich did not buy an expensive piece of land on 104st to invest money into a parking space to offer free parking. Their intention is to allow for parking for up to 3 years, at which point they are going to evaluate the market in hopes of building a tower. How would you suppose that they partially recoup an investment in the land and make it into a parking lot by offering free parking?

The problem with parking in this area, is there is not much parking on the street and no free parking (that I know of), but I agree there are enough parkades in the area already.

I think this one level building may not be around long and this is probably just a transitional thing, until they decide the time is right to build something bigger.

Again, no developer want to pay taxes, would prefer surface parking if they can. This is a huge step back if it goes through. Not appropriate for this site. We already are way over parked in the area, all the surface parking does is take away from private parkades where people should be actually parking. Also 3 year permit can be renewed unlimited amount of times.

Again, no developer want to pay taxes, would prefer surface parking if they can. This is a huge step back if it goes through. Not appropriate for this site. We already are way over parked in the area, all the surface parking does is take away from private parkades where people should be actually parking. Also 3 year permit can be renewed unlimited amount of times.
Exactly. For what is touted as a "premier" street in Edmonton and one we should be proud of, is effectively dead and void of life between Fox 1/Bundok, and The Mercer building. There is nothing but vacant space and parking lots in that stretch and adding in another parking lot in a sea of parking space is such an ironically poor use of space (whether it is short term temporary or long term temporary is tbd) when all the talk and efforts of council is reducing parking and encouraging alternative transportation to attract people and vibrancy to the core.

One block south, the city shut down 102 ave to make it a walking street, now one block north of that we are adding EVEN MORE parking? What is it that we want?

a few months old but seemingly missed by Edmonton media- this is a good news story for us
I don't know with how clogged Vancouver is, the labour problems and extreme lack of warehouse why more shipping isn't done through here instead.

We talk so much about infrastructure in Canada, but really need to expand it in places where it makes sense. I suppose this is good news, but more should be done here.

Westrich did not buy an expensive piece of land on 104st to invest money into a parking space to offer free parking. Their intention is to allow for parking for up to 3 years, at which point they are going to evaluate the market in hopes of building a tower. How would you suppose that they partially recoup an investment in the land and make it into a parking lot by offering free parking?
Ummm, my post was sarcasm, too. Like the post above it. Sorry, i thought it was obvious. I should have used an emoji of some kind.

At least @Edmcowboy11 got the joke.

Last edited:

Back